curiousstudent8
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
is it possible and helpful to take physics chem and math hl and cs as an sl subject?
adventuresmaria
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by curiousstudent8)
is it possible and helpful to take physics chem and math hl and cs as an sl subject?
hi, it isn't possible to take 3 sciences in the ib, so you'll have to choose two of your three option. I know that there are some special cases where a so-called "natural science" like environmental systems and societies that can be taken in line 3 (the "human science" subjects). This doesn't occur often as it involves a whole lot of scheduling and a big staff and student number. Maybe ask in your school?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your combination is impossible in the standard IBD programme, as you would be taking two group 4 subjects (physics and chemistry) and two group 5 subjects (CS and Maths). Unless they have changed things since I did IB, CS can only be taken as a second group 5 subject, in the group 6 "slot". You could take either physics or chemistry as your group 4, plus HL maths as group 5, and then either CS or the remaining science not taken as your group 6 option. The only alternative would be to take one as an additional certificate exam, which many schools don't offer and I believe are being phased out anyway.

I would note that CS isn't required to study CS at university in the UK normally (typically the only requirement is HL Maths), so there is no particular benefit in taking it. You could just as well learn programming as an extracurricular activity (which may be relevant for CAS requirements) if you so wish, and preserve a wide range of potential subject choices for uni applications (including CS) by taking maths/chem/physics at HL.
curiousstudent8
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your combination is impossible in the standard IBD programme, as you would be taking two group 4 subjects (physics and chemistry) and two group 5 subjects (CS and Maths). Unless they have changed things since I did IB, CS can only be taken as a second group 5 subject, in the group 6 "slot". You could take either physics or chemistry as your group 4, plus HL maths as group 5, and then either CS or the remaining science not taken as your group 6 option. The only alternative would be to take one as an additional certificate exam, which many schools don't offer and I believe are being phased out anyway.

I would note that CS isn't required to study CS at university in the UK normally (typically the only requirement is HL Maths), so there is no particular benefit in taking it. You could just as well learn programming as an extracurricular activity (which may be relevant for CAS requirements) if you so wish, and preserve a wide range of potential subject choices for uni applications (including CS) by taking maths/chem/physics at HL.
yes, the curriculum has changed now, our school provides CS as a group 4 subject. But thank you for ur advice
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes, the curriculum has changed now, our school provides CS as a group 4 subject. But thank you for ur advice
Well even in that case you can only take a maximum of two group 4 subjects, unless you take ESS as a group 3 - so the same issue applies
VanillaCream
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you can take all of these - you would need to apply for 'Irregular Diploma' (or sth like that). I don't know much about it, but my friend wanted to do Biology, Chemistry and Physics HL and he checked that it was possible if he applies for Irregular Diploma (you need to prove that you need all of these subjects by finding a uni course which requires all etc.), he eventually didn't choose Physics though, so I don't know much about the whole 'process'.
And one student in my class has 7 subjects (one only as a certificate) - 2 sciences and 2 languages, so maybe you could do the same? Choose a subject from each group (except for group 6 ofc) + 2 subjects from group 4 (and do 7 subjects), but I don't really think it's worth it because it's much more work as you have one extra subject (she is doing that only because she wants to study medicine in Germany so she needs Bio and Chem from group 4 and extra German because they require it as an IB subject).
curiousstudent8
Rep:
?
(Original post by VanillaCream)
I think you can take all of these - you would need to apply for 'Irregular Diploma' (or sth like that). I don't know much about it, but my friend wanted to do Biology, Chemistry and Physics HL and he checked that it was possible if he applies for Irregular Diploma (you need to prove that you need all of these subjects by finding a uni course which requires all etc.), he eventually didn't choose Physics though, so I don't know much about the whole 'process'.
And one student in my class has 7 subjects (one only as a certificate) - 2 sciences and 2 languages, so maybe you could do the same? Choose a subject from each group (except for group 6 ofc) + 2 subjects from group 4 (and do 7 subjects), but I don't really think it's worth it because it's much more work as you have one extra subject (she is doing that only because she wants to study medicine in Germany so she needs Bio and Chem from group 4 and extra German because they require it as an IB subject).
omg u won't believe how much that actually helped, so i have decided, im taking phy, chem and math hl, now the struggle is to choose the right group 3 subject :shoot:. i can't even make up my mind for which english to study... if i want to study in uk, which english is better, eng lit or lit and lang?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (242)
33.66%
No (477)
66.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise