Dyutic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, does anyone know if you can do both D1 and D2 as your optional choices for Further Maths? or do I have to do D1 and something else?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dyutic)
Hi guys, does anyone know if you can do both D1 and D2 as your optional choices for Further Maths? or do I have to do D1 and something else?
The specification will tell you - is this the newish linear spec?
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dyutic)
Despite having an M.Sc. in Computer Science, and 20 years extremely successful software development behind me, I always advise students not to choose Decision Maths as an option. There is only one reason I advise this, It's because with all the writing and drawing even very good students often run out of time, so it's very hard to get top marks in these options.
Jonny012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by David Getling)
Despite having an M.Sc. in Computer Science, and 20 years extremely successful software development behind me, I always advise students not to choose Decision Maths as an option. There is only one reason I advise this, It's because with all the writing and drawing even very good students often run out of time, so it's very hard to get top marks in these options.
Easier than further stats though and with plenty of practice it’s doable to do in time, do you not agree? I do further mechanics and decision atm
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jonny012)
Easier than further stats though and with plenty of practice it’s doable to do in time, do you not agree? I do further mechanics and decision atm
I'm not saying that some people won't find it easier, or even more interesting, just that it is very hard to complete the paper in the allotted time, even if you know the stuff well. This is not the case with other topics.
inesw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do D1 and D2 (although not by choice) so yes the specification allows it. I'm planning on doing compsci next year and honestly? definitely don't take D2. Do D1 if you really want to but you won't gain anything from it because it's easy, and it won't help you in university like FP1 M1 or S1 would. Also, if you're going to have to sit STEP, you'll be at a disadvantage not doing S1 or M1. How come you have a choice?
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inesw)
How come you have a choice?
Maybe the school isn't one of the bad ones. One hallmark of a bad school/teacher is that student are forced to do Decision Maths. Another is when students are force to take the medical physics option.
inesw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe the school isn't one of the bad ones. One hallmark of a bad school/teacher is that student are forced to do Decision Maths. Another is when students are force to take the medical physics option.
Most schools don't have the funding to give students options on which modules they teach. Most schools offer exactly the number of modules required in the exam and don't waste their time teaching excess content. That doesn't make a school worse than a private with the funding to offer more choices. Even most private schools near me don't offer students the choice.
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inesw)
Most schools don't have the funding to give students options on which modules they teach. Most schools offer exactly the number of modules required in the exam and don't waste their time teaching excess content. That doesn't make a school worse than a private with the funding to offer more choices. Even most private schools near me don't offer students the choice.
I'm not saying schools should teach several at the same time. However, as the students have to take the exam the class should vote on the option. In bad schools incompetent teachers force their choice on the class because they don't feel up to teaching anything else.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you already take Mech 1 and Decision 1, then you don't need any extra modules?

If you really want that extra module for whatever reason, maybe have a look at Further Pure 1?
inesw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not saying schools should teach several at the same time. However, as the students have to take the exam the class should vote on the option. In bad schools incompetent teachers force their choice on the class because they don't feel up to teaching anything else.
In an ideal world, sure. But I've never seen a school that does this because it's simply unfeasible and teachers can best provide support for modules they know and understand best. It's unfair to categorise all schools which don't take this approach as bad- plenty don't do this and get excellent results.
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inesw)
In an ideal world, sure. But I've never seen a school that does this because it's simply unfeasible and teachers can best provide support for modules they know and understand best. It's unfair to categorise all schools which don't take this approach as bad- plenty don't do this and get excellent results.
A competent teacher should be able to teach any option in his/her subject. My old maths and physics teachers would have been deeply ashamed if they couldn't. I too would be deeply ashamed if I couldn't teach and explain anything in maths, chemistry and physics, that my students care to throw at me: and 99% of the time that's off the top of my head.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.19%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.33%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.55%
Loneliness (82)
10.62%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed