The Student Room Group

Diazepam and uni presentations

Hi MH TSR,

I have a big presentation coming up next week and was going to take (prescribed) 2mg diazepam before, but I've read a lot that's a bad idea. Any first hand accounts of helping/hindering?

Noodlzzz
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hi MH TSR,

I have a big presentation coming up next week and was going to take (prescribed) 2mg diazepam before, but I've read a lot that's a bad idea. Any first hand accounts of helping/hindering?

Noodlzzz

I have taken a different benzodiazepine (alprazolam) it is a bad idea when I first took it I automatically fell asleep and slept throughout the entire day and night. So I wouldn't recommend taking diazepam as you don't know how your body will react and you don't want to put yourself in a vulnerable position.
Hi MH TSR,

Noodlzzz

Like many drugs, whether it's bad depends very much on the individual. People can react differently, and how easily people become addicted varies widely. I do, however recall an ex musician I used to work with mentioning that some orchestra players used to take beta blockers prior to a performance. Actually, for things like this some doctors won't prescribe and will give you the "man up" talk.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous1502
I have taken a different benzodiazepine (alprazolam) it is a bad idea when I first took it I automatically fell asleep and slept throughout the entire day and night. So I wouldn't recommend taking diazepam as you don't know how your body will react and you don't want to put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Original post by David Getling
Like many drugs, whether it's bad depends very much on the individual. People can react differently, and how easily people become addicted varies widely. I do, however recall an ex musician I used to work with mentioning that some orchestra players used to take beta blockers prior to a performance. Actually, for things like this some doctors won't prescribe and will give you the "man up" talk.

Thanks both! I have taken prescribed Benzos quite a few times before (over a number of years) so feel like I know it would be fine, but upon searching online most of the responses were negative!
Thanks both! I have taken prescribed Benzos quite a few times before (over a number of years) so feel like I know it would be fine, but upon searching online most of the responses were negative!

If you know how your body will react then I think the decision is up to you. If you won't become too drowsy and not very aware then take it. I know long term benzodiazepine users and they can easily take 2 a day and their cognitive functioning is not effected and it just helps them prevent panic attacks etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous1502
If you know how your body will react then I think the decision is up to you. If you won't become too drowsy and not very aware then take it. I know long term benzodiazepine users and they can easily take 2 a day and their cognitive functioning is not effected and it just helps them prevent panic attacks etc.

I guess I am a long-term user in some respects being over a few years, but only 2-3 times a year (mostly when inpatient so can't really judge if it will effect my ability to present)
It's that horrible thing of not being sure how it'll affect you on the day. Can you let somebody know what's going on and that you've had benzos? Is there the chance to retake if you do conk out?

I've had them a couple of times over the past couple of years and sometimes I'm absolutely fine but I took them a couple of weeks ago and I struggled with nausea. It did stop a near meltdown in a supermarket but the trying not to hurl all day was the least fun ever. I'd have struggled if I'd had to do a presentation but I've been fine having them for presentations in the past.
Reply 7
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It's that horrible thing of not being sure how it'll affect you on the day. Can you let somebody know what's going on and that you've had benzos? Is there the chance to retake if you do conk out?

I've had them a couple of times over the past couple of years and sometimes I'm absolutely fine but I took them a couple of weeks ago and I struggled with nausea. It did stop a near meltdown in a supermarket but the trying not to hurl all day was the least fun ever. I'd have struggled if I'd had to do a presentation but I've been fine having them for presentations in the past.

Hmm I think you're right about being knocked out, I think I'll risk the nerves and not take one!
Are you sure 2mg diazepam would even help given that you've taken it a fair few times before? Tbh Noodz, I think you should try and do it without, but maybe inform the teacher beforehand about your anxiety so if you do have a problem they will already be informed and not think you just weren't prepared or something.
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth
Are you sure 2mg diazepam would even help given that you've taken it a fair few times before? Tbh Noodz, I think you should try and do it without, but maybe inform the teacher beforehand about your anxiety so if you do have a problem they will already be informed and not think you just weren't prepared or something.

I’m thinking without too. The panel have been given notice I have MH issues so have some adjustments (thanks TLG! cant quote on phone sorry) so think doing it without and having them understand if I get anxious. Thanks all for the input!
I’m thinking without too. The panel have been given notice I have MH issues so have some adjustments (thanks TLG! cant quote on phone sorry) so think doing it without and having them understand if I get anxious. Thanks all for the input!

Have you got much experience doing presentations?

I skipped out on them for 14 years then finally managed to find the guts to do one (on metformin :tongue: ) and it went so well, the rush was incredible that I had managed with no pharmaceutical help, people had paid attention, the professor told me it was great, it was just incredible. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest