The Student Room Group

Student Finance- suspending studies to care for my baby or universal credit

Hi, I am currently pregnant and expecting a baby in August, so I am going to finish first year and then possibly suspend my studies for 1 year after giving birth as I live on my own and will be the only carer for my baby (partner / father of baby has job he cant get time off of). I am wondering if I would qualify for student finance during the year or period of time whilst in suspension because I would still have bills to pay and my child to look after, or if not, whether if I'd be able to claim universal credit whilst away. Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so, what have you done for finance?
Original post by a.emxxx
Hi, I am currently pregnant and expecting a baby in August, so I am going to finish first year and then possibly suspend my studies for 1 year after giving birth as I live on my own and will be the only carer for my baby (partner / father of baby has job he cant get time off of). I am wondering if I would qualify for student finance during the year or period of time whilst in suspension because I would still have bills to pay and my child to look after, or if not, whether if I'd be able to claim universal credit whilst away. Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so, what have you done for finance?

Hello,

We can look at a continued payment though a period of suspension, in order to apply you must be experiencing financial hardship, full payment through a suspension can be considered in very exceptional circumstances.

I would suggest speaking with Universal Credit regarding funding from them.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending