totallylost101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hiI only have around 2 weeks to pick my options and i'm confused. Before i was originally going to pick music,media,psychology and spanish but apparently you need to do art and IT to become a graphic designer. i am bad at art and i don't think i would do well in it so what other options could i pick?we don't do graphic design as a subject for GCSE'S so what should i do?
katyholidayy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by totallylost101)
hiI only have around 2 weeks to pick my options and i'm confused. Before i was originally going to pick music,media,psychology and spanish but apparently you need to do art and IT to become a graphic designer. i am bad at art and i don't think i would do well in it so what other options could i pick?we don't do graphic design as a subject for GCSE'S so what should i do?
This early on I believe GCSEs don't matter, as long as you do A Level Graphic Design. You can check on local sixth form college's requirements for Graphic Design but it will likely only be passes in English and Maths.
big-L
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katyholidayy)
This early on I believe GCSEs don't matter, as long as you do A Level Graphic Design. You can check on local sixth form college's requirements for Graphic Design but it will likely only be passes in English and Maths.
i want to do graphic design as a career too but it’s not an option at my school for A Level so i’m just doing art and it’s fine?
katyholidayy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by big-L)
i want to do graphic design as a career too but it’s not an option at my school for A Level so i’m just doing art and it’s fine?
Oh okay I don't know much about this, but I wanted to emphasise that GCSE options don't matter in the long run.
big-L
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katyholidayy)
Oh okay I don't know much about this, but I wanted to emphasise that GCSE options don't matter in the long run.
are you sure? cause i’m not doing well at the moment lol
kt_8998
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I'm doing graphic design at college, and have an unconditional place at uni for graphic design in September. I did product design and photography at GCSE. To study graphics most places want an art based subject as you're gonna need a portfolio of design work, and if you don't do something at GCSE (like art) sometimes they won't let you do it at sixth form (depending on where you go)
totallylost101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by kt_8998)
Hey I'm doing graphic design at college, and have an unconditional place at uni for graphic design in September. I did product design and photography at GCSE. To study graphics most places want an art based subject as you're gonna need a portfolio of design work, and if you don't do something at GCSE (like art) sometimes they won't let you do it at sixth form (depending on where you go)
OK thank you. Also are things like 3D design/Design Technology considered as an art subject? I might do that instead of art
kt_8998
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OK thank you. Also are things like 3D design/Design Technology considered as an art subject? I might do that instead of art
Yeah they would be, you just need a subject that links to the design process so you have an understanding of it and have some work you can build a portfolio of off
Sunller
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by big-L)
You will be fine. I did my BA in Graphic Design and there where loads of people on my course that came from an art background.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (211)
60.98%
No (72)
20.81%
Not sure (63)
18.21%

Watched Threads