Msc Psychology conversation really terrible student support?

Watch
Delilah2020
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Trigger warning: Abusive relationship, previous suicide attempts

Spoiler:
Show
Unfortunately when i first started the course in 2016 I was living with an abusive parter and this effected my mental health (which I also had a learning contract for) Unfortunately things escalated while I was doing the course and I felt I had to leave where I was living for my in safety and to be able to relax enough and sleep enough to do the course. I found that I got no support form the tutors or the university in any way and instead got treated with contempt. I was initially told I should defer the year but was offered no support or kindness. To begin with I refused to leave and tried to continue with the course because I didn’t want to ruin it for myself. After having some kind of mental breakdown I decided that I couldn’t finish the course at that time. Unfortunately I was told that I was not longer allowed to defer the year and had to complete it at that time ( by my personal tutor). I was only allowed to defer the year after attempting suicide and submitting the A and E report as evidence.

When I returned in 2019 I again received no support from the staff. I was not even given a dissertation tutor ( which is essential to passing the course) until I complained.

It was also implied by the lecturers that as I hadn’t gone to A and E my story was untrue. Luckily I never had to go there because I wasn’t hurt badly enough. However when I can find proof that I called the police about this issue and they said I had been assaulted and could press charges if I wanted so I don’t think I just being hysterical and overreacting.
My point is that I paid with my own money to do the course and feel like I was treated worse than if I was working at sports direct in terms of concern for my personal safety and well-being. I thought maybe once I’d finished I’d forget about it however I still feel very angry. It annoyed me that people and universities can make money by virtue signalling pretending to be so p.c and anti sexual assault and violence when in reality they are indifferent to it. Also now I’ve finished I can make this complaint without it being implied I was only saying because I was to stupid to do the work. I eventually passed the course and got a merit so I can now prove that isn’t the case. It’s clear that the university only cares about profit and pushing as many people through the course as quickly as possible and sees absolutely no worth in them as individuals.
I tried to make a complaint to the caseworker people at the university and they said complain at the student union and the student union sent me back to the caseworker department. Then I got pretty frustrated and angry again and sent an angry email to the student union. Unfortunately they got the police liaison officer involved, who was able to look into police records and find my friend who I was staying withs previous address. Which also raises the question if they have these facilities could they not have verified my story with the police if they had wished to.

Anyway my point is what can I really do about this? I’m still very angry and I want to advise others against enrolling on the Psychology (conversation) course here if they are able to chose which university they attend. The course at Leeds Beckett is badly organised and does not care about their students to a worrying extent. In my opinion they are focused only on getting their money and rushing them through the course as quickly as possible to make room for new students or more importantly the fees they pay.
Last edited by 04MR17; 3 months ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Delilah2020)

Spoiler:
Show
Unfortunately when i first started the course in 2016 I was living with an abusive parter and this effected my mental health (which I also had a learning contract for) Unfortunately things escalated while I was doing the course and I felt I had to leave where I was living for my in safety and to be able to relax enough and sleep enough to do the course. I found that I got no support form the tutors or the university in any way and instead got treated with contempt. I was initially told I should defer the year but was offered no support or kindness. To begin with I refused to leave and tried to continue with the course because I didn’t want to ruin it for myself. After having some kind of mental breakdown I decided that I couldn’t finish the course at that time. Unfortunately I was told that I was not longer allowed to defer the year and had to complete it at that time ( by my personal tutor). I was only allowed to defer the year after attempting suicide and submitting the A and E report as evidence.

When I returned in 2019 I again received no support from the staff. I was not even given a dissertation tutor ( which is essential to passing the course) until I complained.

It was also implied by the lecturers that as I hadn’t gone to A and E my story was untrue. Luckily I never had to go there because I wasn’t hurt badly enough. However when I can find proof that I called the police about this issue and they said I had been assaulted and could press charges if I wanted so I don’t think I just being hysterical and overreacting.
My point is that I paid with my own money to do the course and feel like I was treated worse than if I was working at sports direct in terms of concern for my personal safety and well-being. I thought maybe once I’d finished I’d forget about it however I still feel very angry. It annoyed me that people and universities can make money by virtue signalling pretending to be so p.c and anti sexual assault and violence when in reality they are indifferent to it. Also now I’ve finished I can make this complaint without it being implied I was only saying because I was to stupid to do the work. I eventually passed the course and got a merit so I can now prove that isn’t the case. It’s clear that the university only cares about profit and pushing as many people through the course as quickly as possible and sees absolutely no worth in them as individuals.
I tried to make a complaint to the caseworker people at the university and they said complain at the student union and the student union sent me back to the caseworker department. Then I got pretty frustrated and angry again and sent an angry email to the student union. Unfortunately they got the police liaison officer involved, who was able to look into police records and find my friend who I was staying withs previous address. Which also raises the question if they have these facilities could they not have verified my story with the police if they had wished to.

Anyway my point is what can I really do about this? I’m still very angry and I want to advise others against enrolling on the Psychology (conversation) course here if they are able to chose which university they attend. The course at Leeds Beckett is badly organised and does not care about their students to a worrying extent. In my opinion they are focused only on getting their money and rushing them through the course as quickly as possible to make room for new students or more importantly the fees they pay.
The_Lonely_Goatherd Noodlzzz - can either of you advise here?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think you need to make a complaint to the university itself not the tutors on your course. There should be a specific policy on how to do this. Try and get as much evidence as you can in regards to your health and also any emails documenting their failures.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, I went through something similar at my undergrad.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm really sorry to hear of everything you've gone through. You're incredibly strong to have got through and finished the course :yes:

I echo what Noodlzzz has said: consider making a formal complaint to the uni. Some unis have time-frames within which one has to complain by so if you want to go down the official complaint route, you may need to act quickly. (Though of course, since you have graduated, the rules might be different - you'll need to check.) It might also be worth looking at the documents on the OIAHE (Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education) website. You will not be able to take a complaint to the OIAHE until you have completed the uni's internal complaints procedure, but the info on some of the pages may help you to figure out how to frame your complaint (i.e. on what grounds you wish to complain). I found this page quite useful when building my own case for complaining against my current uni: https://www.oiahe.org.uk/about-us/re...inconvenience/ .

All this said, making a formal complaint can be a very gruelling process and the likeliness is that you may not get the outcomes you hope for when complaining. You need to be prepared for that, and ideally to be in somewhat-robust mental health to be able to withstand the process. It's very understandable to be angry and upset by what happened to you but do prioritise your mental wellbeing going forward, at all times

Good luck in whatever you decide to do :hugs:
Lucifer323
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Spoiler:
Show

Hello my friend,

Sorry to hear this story.

There are many people who are affected by Universities, their actions, and the actions of their staff members.
You have to be careful when making complaints as they are usually trying to frustrate the individual until they give up. Students Unions are useless and they are usually have their loyalties with the University instead of the Student.

In a few words, the level of unfairness, favouritism, discrimination, cronyism, are something else and one has to experience himself/herself in order to find out what is going on.

Me and a few others are talking about this matter and you are welcome to share your views. See my posts and the post by Chuffster on the OIA.

I would like to make a few comments in relation to the Complaints Procedure. The complaints procedure in all Universities is very biased and is designed to serve the interest of its staff members and not of the students. Most students when entering the process are naive and dont understand that you complain against the University.. to the University!! What do you think is going to happen in the vast majority of cases when those who will deal with your complaint are friends and colleagues of those staff members you have problems with...

After your complaint is dismissed then you are advised to go to the OIA, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator.. Another trap!! The rate of success there is 4% which is scandalous. The OIA has become a matter of many threads around here for the past years before I joined in.

All these are traps that take a student to follow a specific path, get really frustrated, waste time and energy, and get usually nothing at the end as Universities are usually unaccountable and thats where the main problem is. There is much space for reform in the future.

Of course Unis dont care so much about the individual, only the individual as a client.

I hope I was clear
Join our discussions if you wish
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I'm really sorry to hear of everything you've gone through. You're incredibly strong to have got through and finished the course :yes:

I echo what Noodlzzz has said: consider making a formal complaint to the uni. Some unis have time-frames within which one has to complain by so if you want to go down the official complaint route, you may need to act quickly. (Though of course, since you have graduated, the rules might be different - you'll need to check.) It might also be worth looking at the documents on the OIAHE (Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education) website. You will not be able to take a complaint to the OIAHE until you have completed the uni's internal complaints procedure, but the info on some of the pages may help you to figure out how to frame your complaint (i.e. on what grounds you wish to complain). I found this page quite useful when building my own case for complaining against my current uni: https://www.oiahe.org.uk/about-us/re...inconvenience/ .

All this said, making a formal complaint can be a very gruelling process and the likeliness is that you may not get the outcomes you hope for when complaining. You need to be prepared for that, and ideally to be in somewhat-robust mental health to be able to withstand the process. It's very understandable to be angry and upset by what happened to you but do prioritise your mental wellbeing going forward, at all times

Hi, please have a look at my reply to the person who made this thread.
I didn't see yours until now. Let me know what do you think.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lucifer323)
Your post doesn't change my mind/advice, if that's what you mean :nah:
Delilah2020
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

Thanks for the information! I've kind of been avoiding thinking about it for a while whoops. I think i will make the complaint now if it's not to late
Delilah2020
Rep:
?
Hello my friend,

Sorry to hear this story.

There are many people who are affected by Universities, their actions, and the actions of their staff members.
You have to be careful when making complaints as they are usually trying to frustrate the individual until they give up. Students Unions are useless and they are usually have their loyalties with the University instead of the Student.

In a few words, the level of unfairness, favouritism, discrimination, cronyism, are something else and one has to experience himself/herself in order to find out what is going on.

Me and a few others are talking about this matter and you are welcome to share your views. See my posts and the post by Chuffster on the OIA.

I would like to make a few comments in relation to the Complaints Procedure. The complaints procedure in all Universities is very biased and is designed to serve the interest of its staff members and not of the students. Most students when entering the process are naive and dont understand that you complain against the University.. to the University!! What do you think is going to happen in the vast majority of cases when those who will deal with your complaint are friends and colleagues of those staff members you have problems with...

After your complaint is dismissed then you are advised to go to the OIA, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator.. Another trap!! The rate of success there is 4% which is scandalous. The OIA has become a matter of many threads around here for the past years before I joined in.

All these are traps that take a student to follow a specific path, get really frustrated, waste time and energy, and get usually nothing at the end as Universities are usually unaccountable and thats where the main problem is. There is much space for reform in the future.

Of course Unis dont care so much about the individual, only the individual as a client.

I hope I was clear
Join our discussions if you wish
Yeh I totally agree with everything you say especially about the student union being useless and on the universities side. Sorry about late reply I've been trying to forget about it. I'm going to make my compliant now i think because I've calmed down a lot, I doubt I'll get much out of it but I feel like it has to be done. I'm not sure if bad publicity is something they'd be more concerned about. It annoys me a lot that they seem to constantly put on events and promotions about how they are really concerned about mental health and they have a zero tolerance policy to all kinds if discrimination and sexual assault. From my experience there real response is that they couldn't care less and seem to be more like stop complaining and smile you whiny little brat (I was 28 at the time).
Delilah2020
Rep:
?
Thanks!! yeh I was worried that the formal complaint process would make me go a bit mad so I have put it off. I feel I bit better now but agree that there is a high chance that I won't get a good result from my complaint. I find dealing with them difficult as I have a history of being abused (in another case) and told it was ok for them to do that because I was stupid and I deserved it. Which also seemed to be the attitude of the university too, so I have to be careful not to start believing it when I deal with them.
Delilah2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
I think you need to make a complaint to the university itself not the tutors on your course. There should be a specific policy on how to do this. Try and get as much evidence as you can in regards to your health and also any emails documenting their failures.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, I went through something similar at my undergrad.
Thanks! Sorry for the late reply I've been avoiding the subject because it upsets me. I'm not sure I can still get into my student email account which could be a problem but will try
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yeh I totally agree with everything you say especially about the student union being useless and on the universities side. Sorry about late reply I've been trying to forget about it. I'm going to make my compliant now i think because I've calmed down a lot, I doubt I'll get much out of it but I feel like it has to be done. I'm not sure if bad publicity is something they'd be more concerned about. It annoys me a lot that they seem to constantly put on events and promotions about how they are really concerned about mental health and they have a zero tolerance policy to all kinds if discrimination and sexual assault. From my experience there real response is that they couldn't care less and seem to be more like stop complaining and smile you whiny little brat (I was 28 at the time).
If you would like to talk about it send me a private message and we can discuss matters. There are a few more people who might able to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (60)
19.23%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (65)
20.83%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
18.59%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (67)
21.47%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (31)
9.94%
I haven't started researching yet (31)
9.94%

Watched Threads