A level further maths revision help

Watch
Rae5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I sit my AS in further maths in may and we are going so slowly through the course and so I’m trying to teach myself the stuff we won’t cover in time and I’m so stressed and it isn’t really working, any advice?
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rae5)
I sit my AS in further maths in may and we are going so slowly through the course and so I’m trying to teach myself the stuff we won’t cover in time and I’m so stressed and it isn’t really working, any advice?
Get a good tutor, but do be aware that there are an awful lot of bad ones out there. Also, the really good ones are far too busy to make house calls, so expect to travel to the tutor. A good one can make a really big difference, a poor one is just a waste of time and money.
Rae5
Rep:
?
(Original post by David Getling)
Get a good tutor, but do be aware that there are an awful lot of bad ones out there. Also, the really good ones are far too busy to make house calls, so expect to travel to the tutor. A good one can make a really big difference, a poor one is just a waste of time and money.
Thank you, I am currently looking for one but most prioritise year 11 and 13 and AS exams aren’t really sat anymore so they don’t really take on year 12 in the run up to exam season
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rae5)
There are a large number of video resources on YouTube. Which topics in particular are you trying to master but not succeeding in?
Rae5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
There are a large number of video resources on YouTube. Which topics in particular are you trying to master but not succeeding in?
Statistics are my worst, I get most of pure it’s just graph and proof that I’m not as good at and mechanics are ok so far but I’ve only just started teaching myself that so I can’t really tell if it’s going to go ok
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rae5)
Statistics are my worst, I get most of pure it’s just graph and proof that I’m not as good at and mechanics are ok so far but I’ve only just started teaching myself that so I can’t really tell if it’s going to go ok
I'm a little confused now. You said Further Maths in your first post - did you mean that (and in which case which exam board and which modules are you taking?), or do you mean the regular AS Maths exams?
Rae5
Rep:
?
I'm a little confused now. You said Further Maths in your first post - did you mean that (and in which case which exam board and which modules are you taking?), or do you mean the regular AS Maths exams?
No I mean further maths (AQA) my AS is in may and I do pure, mechanics and statistics
Rae5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rae5)
No I mean further maths (AQA) my AS is in may and I do pure, mechanics and statistics
Sorry if I was confusing I’m very tired
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rae5)
Ah, I understand now. It sounded like the same outline as the regular A Level.

Well, it's hard to be specific since there is a lot of content there. I can only suggest trying to take things in a systematic way, and asking here for help with specific questions. I expect it will be conceptual things which give you problems, if you understand what you should be doing and why, then beyond that it is just lots of practice, so pay attention to the worked examples in your text books and see if you can reproduce them for yourself. And if you can't, ask here for a second opinion - it is not unknown for text books to have errors.
Rae5
Rep:
?
Ah, I understand now. It sounded like the same outline as the regular A Level.

Well, it's hard to be specific since there is a lot of content there. I can only suggest trying to take things in a systematic way, and asking here for help with specific questions. I expect it will be conceptual things which give you problems, if you understand what you should be doing and why, then beyond that it is just lots of practice, so pay attention to the worked examples in your text books and see if you can reproduce them for yourself. And if you can't, ask here for a second opinion - it is not unknown for text books to have errors.
Ok thank you so much ! I’ve tried some practice questions in the revision guides but then I try them out of the textbooks and they’re completely different levels of complexity and understanding so it’s disheartening when I ace the revision guides questions but then completely fail the text books one, but I’ll keep trying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
27.93%
No (289)
72.07%

Watched Threads