St Andrews or Edinburgh for Medicine?

Watch
rjh02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have just received offers from both Edinburgh and St Andrews for Medicine which I am over the moon about, but I keep changing my mind about which one to firm. I really like the course structure at St Andrews but I'm just worried that the student experience won't be as good as Edinburgh. I quite like how it is a small town and there is a community feel about it, but I'm worried that it will feel quite isolating and that I've picked the wrong choice. If I did end up going to St Andrews, I would hope to go to Edinburgh for the clinical years 4-6. If anyone has any info about the student experience on both unis it would be very much appreciated!!! x
elssssssssa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rjh02)
I have just received offers from both Edinburgh and St Andrews for Medicine which I am over the moon about, but I keep changing my mind about which one to firm. I really like the course structure at St Andrews but I'm just worried that the student experience won't be as good as Edinburgh. I quite like how it is a small town and there is a community feel about it, but I'm worried that it will feel quite isolating and that I've picked the wrong choice. If I did end up going to St Andrews, I would hope to go to Edinburgh for the clinical years 4-6. If anyone has any info about the student experience on both unis it would be very much appreciated!!! x
Congrats on your offers, they are both amazing universities! I have an offer from St Andrews and plan on going but the only reason I didn't apply to Edinburgh is because I live here currently haha!

The thing with St Andrews is that basically 99% (give or take haha) of the place is made up of students who are in the same boat. People I know who have gone all say that the students organise lots of things so yes there are fewer clubs but there are so so many pubs that students go to and societies all have lots of socials so actually there are always things to do. As long as they have their wacky traditions and a Tesco that sells Vodka there will always be something to do.

Edinburgh I have more personal experience as I live here. As far as cities go it isn't the most wild city but it does have several big(ish) clubs (ATIK, Garibaldis, WhyNot etc...) There is a good student union as well and most things are pretty central so within walking distance. Also, it is great for daytime things to do because it is a gorgeous historical city so day and night you can be busy.

Hope this helps a bit!
rjh02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by elssssssssa)
Congrats on your offers, they are both amazing universities! I have an offer from St Andrews and plan on going but the only reason I didn't apply to Edinburgh is because I live here currently haha!

The thing with St Andrews is that basically 99% (give or take haha) of the place is made up of students who are in the same boat. People I know who have gone all say that the students organise lots of things so yes there are fewer clubs but there are so so many pubs that students go to and societies all have lots of socials so actually there are always things to do. As long as they have their wacky traditions and a Tesco that sells Vodka there will always be something to do.

Edinburgh I have more personal experience as I live here. As far as cities go it isn't the most wild city but it does have several big(ish) clubs (ATIK, Garibaldis, WhyNot etc...) There is a good student union as well and most things are pretty central so within walking distance. Also, it is great for daytime things to do because it is a gorgeous historical city so day and night you can be busy.

Hope this helps a bit!
Thank you so much for this! Thankfully I don't need to decide just yet but I am just so torn between the two because they're so different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (136)
58.87%
No (52)
22.51%
Not sure (43)
18.61%

Watched Threads