Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks everyone
Last edited by LaurenEve1995; 1 month ago
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No to resign, you need to do it face to face followed up by a letter.
That is the only real way of doing it, properly and with dignity and pride.
OzzMorris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see your issue. Flights to America are expensive (if you are paying). The best thing to do is resign face to face with a short and simple letter. If not, by phone
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Phone call or email isn't acceptable unless you're seriously ill or dying and can't leave the house. You'll have to write a professional letter of resignation and tell your boss you're resigning before giving him the letter. You don't need to tell your current colleagues you're leaving if you don't want to.
LaurenEve1995
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
(Original post by s817)
Phone call or email isn't acceptable unless you're seriously ill or dying and can't leave the house. You'll have to write a professional letter of resignation and tell your boss you're resigning before giving him the letter. You don't need to tell your current colleagues you're leaving if you don't want to.
Unfortunately I am unable to do such a thing because my boss is permanently based in the USA and i'm permanently based in the UK but apart from that I agree with you 100%. I'm happy to tell my colleagues once my boss knows, I just don't want him finding out from any one else but me as I find that disrespectful towards him.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No one expects you to go to america to resign - unless possibly you are very senior and there would be significant handover / client related issues to discuss.

I think you should call him (a private call so not from an open office) then email a letter.
LaurenEve1995
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
No one expects you to go to america to resign - unless possibly you are very senior and there would be significant handover / client related issues to discuss.

I think you should call him (a private call so not from an open office) then email a letter.
I was joking about going to America - British sarcasm! Yeah I'm going to do that I find other peoples thoughts interesting though as this will be my second job since finished uni so its all pretty new to me in regards to full time professional employment
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LaurenEve1995)
Hi,

I've just secured myself an amazing job opportunity in London, My boss in my current place of work is actually based in America, I'm based in the UK. I am planning on letting my boss know when he returns to the office on Monday from a long holiday. In an ideal world i'd want to do it in person but I'm not going all the way to America to do such a thing so I have 2 options... phone call or email.

I haven't told other members of staff yet as I think it would be really unfair if my boss ended up finding out not from myself personally (I'm in an office with loads of people).

I'm thinking of calling him but that means I'm going to have to let everyone know in the UK first which I suppose isn't a big deal, if anything just a bit awkward...

Anyway my situation just got me thinking, is there ever an acceptable occasion where you could resign from a job via email?
It's fine to resign by email if you don't have daily face-to-face contact with your Boss, but phone if that's the way you normally communicate with them. Just have a plan as to how you tell people and who reads what emails or overhears what phone calls.

So if you email them, then ask/suggest when you are going to say something to the UK office. Presumably if you are line-managed overseas, you have customary methods for things that need doing face-to-face eg HR conversations?

You have to give written notice of resignation anyway, so you might as well email and then walk round to your bosses office (if they have an open door policy and are in) or book a meeting with them and send the email half an hour before and give them time to think through the implications etc. Really, it's all about the way the office works and doing the decent thing. The really unprofessional thing is to just email and walk out.
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LaurenEve1995)
Unfortunately I am unable to do such a thing because my boss is permanently based in the USA and i'm permanently based in the UK but apart from that I agree with you 100%. I'm happy to tell my colleagues once my boss knows, I just don't want him finding out from any one else but me as I find that disrespectful towards him.
Then it would be best to email him your resignation letter, explain in the email that you're resigning and have attached your resignation letter to the email. Maybe call him as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads