If you buy something from Chinese seller will you catch corona virus?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you buy from a Chinese supermarket or from a Chinese seller online or buy something from China online or in China will you get corona virus?

I've brought so many things from Chinese sellers in the uk online, I'm worried I might get the corona virus!
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is just racist now and you going on anon speaks volumes. Ok if it’s coming from China but a Chinese seller? Just from them being Chinese? Sigh
furzisulta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MoonlightRain)
This is just racist now and you going on anon speaks volumes. Ok if it’s coming from China but a Chinese seller? Just from them being Chinese? Sigh
chinese dont get offended by this but this white person does
clown world
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by furzisulta)
clown world
A lot of Chinese people do. Idk what ur on about. And I’m not white, thank u
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by furzisulta)
clown world
They do though, there's a high population of Asian students at my university and the amount of people avoiding them because of the scaremongering is disgusting. My friend said he no longer feels accepted in the community because of it, no one should be made to feel like that.

Threads like these are just adding to it, it's ridiculous.
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
They do though, there's a high population of Asian students at my university and the amount of people avoiding them because of the scaremongering is disgusting. My friend said he no longer feels accepted in the community because of it, no one should be made to feel like that.

Why would OP create this thread in the first place?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
They're either worrying because of all of the unnecessary scaremongering, or trolling to further fuel it.
furzisulta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
the logical conclusion to this would be that op thinks tsr is a better search engine than google
in fact both of them are garbage
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think it's racist to think you might get the virus from Chinese made goods shipped in.
I do think its stupid though.
ParadoxSocks
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The OP has asked for advice about what may be a very genuine fear regarding the importing of items from China.

Can we please stick to offering advice rather than judgement please.
emily_000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you buy from a Chinese supermarket or from a Chinese seller online or buy something from China online or in China will you get corona virus?

I've brought so many things from Chinese sellers in the uk online, I'm worried I might get the corona virus!
NO I don't think so.

Read this:
Q: Am I at risk for COVID-19 from a package or products shipping from China?

A: There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged COVID-19 and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV). The virus that causes COVID-19 is more genetically related to SARS-CoV than MERS-CoV, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, we can use the information gained from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website as it becomes available.

I found it here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

read this:

“The temperature of the air surrounding the packages and projects during shipping is not considered conducive to viral viability,” he told Tom’s Hardware

Even if you have a package shipped overnight from China, experts believe you have nothing to worry about.

“I suspect that even with overnight shipping, the transit conditions are not conducive to the virus remaining viable, given that it takes a special combination of environmental conditions for a virus to remain viable (lack of UV exposure, specific temperatures, specific humidity, et cetera) that is not readily achieved in shipping,” Adalja explained. “Overnight packages are not how this virus will transmit, and I think the concern is completely misplaced.”

I found it here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ca...packages-china

and this:

"It's not going to be transported on a box," says Dr. Michael Ison of Northwestern University, who studies viral infections among transplant patients, who have weakened immune systems.

Coronaviruses are thought to mainly spread from person to person via respiratory droplets, researchers say. And, so far, the novel coronavirus seems to have spread only among people who were in close personal contact.

While there's still a lot unknown about this particular coronavirus, experts have a sense of what to expect, based on experience with previous strains that have led to outbreaks of serious illness, such as SARS and MERS.

"There is no evidence from any previous outbreak that anyone has ever gotten infected from a package," Elizabeth McGraw, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics at Pennsylvania State University, tells NPR.

I found it here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1582339940848

and this:

But U.S. health officials have said that there is no evidence to support the transmission of the new coronavirus through imported goods.

“In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Center for Disease Control’s Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a press briefing.

I found it here:

https://www.twincities.com/2020/02/0...-transmission/

and this:

oogle coronavirus and packages and you get hit with countless results - all answering the question, can you catch coronavirus from packages coming from China?
The answer is no.
Despite fears the deadly infection can be transported through packages, experts say this is simply not the case.
“People receiving packages from China are not at risk of contracting the new coronavirus,” the World Health Organisation states.
“From previous analysis, we know coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.”

I found it here:

https://www.news.com.au/national/fea...74b1cd26f63c86
Last edited by emily_000; 1 month ago
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

‘Chinese sellers in the U.K.’

if OP had any sense of awareness and/or intelligence they would know there is nothing to be worried about. This is a general sense of xenophobia towards Asian communities in response to the virus. A response to the fear mongering that’s been going on.
Last edited by Greywolftwo; 1 month ago
Zoqua
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

This is 100% a troll, so I'm going to be brief. No, you are very, very unlikely to catch COVID-19 from buying things made and packaged in China, let alone merely from sellers who happen to be Chinese. Most of this fear is simply a form of racism which has been amplified by scaremongering and lies. See this article for a more extensive look at anti-Chinese racism that the virus has highlighted/stirred up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51456056

(Original post by emily_000)
NO I don't think so.

Read this:
Q: Am I at risk for COVID-19 from a package or products shipping from China?

A: There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged COVID-19 and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV). The virus that causes COVID-19 is more genetically related to SARS-CoV than MERS-CoV, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, we can use the information gained from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website as it becomes available.

I found it here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

read this:

“The temperature of the air surrounding the packages and projects during shipping is not considered conducive to viral viability,” he told Tom’s Hardware

Even if you have a package shipped overnight from China, experts believe you have nothing to worry about.

“I suspect that even with overnight shipping, the transit conditions are not conducive to the virus remaining viable, given that it takes a special combination of environmental conditions for a virus to remain viable (lack of UV exposure, specific temperatures, specific humidity, et cetera) that is not readily achieved in shipping,” Adalja explained. “Overnight packages are not how this virus will transmit, and I think the concern is completely misplaced.”

I found it here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ca...packages-china

and this:

"It's not going to be transported on a box," says Dr. Michael Ison of Northwestern University, who studies viral infections among transplant patients, who have weakened immune systems.

Coronaviruses are thought to mainly spread from person to person via respiratory droplets, researchers say. And, so far, the novel coronavirus seems to have spread only among people who were in close personal contact.

While there's still a lot unknown about this particular coronavirus, experts have a sense of what to expect, based on experience with previous strains that have led to outbreaks of serious illness, such as SARS and MERS.

"There is no evidence from any previous outbreak that anyone has ever gotten infected from a package," Elizabeth McGraw, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics at Pennsylvania State University, tells NPR.

I found it here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1582339940848

and this:

But U.S. health officials have said that there is no evidence to support the transmission of the new coronavirus through imported goods.

“In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Center for Disease Control’s Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a press briefing.

I found it here:

https://www.twincities.com/2020/02/0...-transmission/

and this:

oogle coronavirus and packages and you get hit with countless results - all answering the question, can you catch coronavirus from packages coming from China?
The answer is no.
Despite fears the deadly infection can be transported through packages, experts say this is simply not the case.
“People receiving packages from China are not at risk of contracting the new coronavirus,” the World Health Organisation states.
“From previous analysis, we know coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.”

I found it here:

https://www.news.com.au/national/fea...74b1cd26f63c86
This person has provided an extensive and well-referenced explanation about the scientific explanation, based on current knowledge, as to why you are not at risk through package transmission.
anime<3gaming
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are really concerned I would do the following;

Accept the package like normal. If you know the postman is outside your door grab some plates or something with your hands full and just ask him to put it on the floor like so. Once he is gone pick the package up with some gloves or bare hands. Put the package somewhere where it wont be touched. Wash your hands thoroughly twice. Leave the package for 20 days or a month.

I've got something coming from Japan soon so thats what I plan to do. I wont be able to open my package but I will keep it isolated for at least a month so the virus or bacteria dies on its own. Also before you try touching it again maybe wipe the box down with some bleach and leave it to stand for a day just to be safe
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)

I used to go to two local takeaways all the time...like ALL the time. Several times a week I'd hop between each. At one I asked for him to clarify price real quick and he was like "but you always pay that....and you come everyday!" and the other, they know my voice as soon as I call and tell ME MY address like "oh yea yea". Basically...I wonder if they miss me....

And then at the launderette last weekend right this guy was sat next to a Asian lady who I'm not sure is Chinese but yea and he said don't sit next to me, don't come over here, and took his chair away to another part of the store.

I didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head but she asked me, "does this machine work?" I was surprisingly conversational wit the wee lass. And I miss my takeaway....😡
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.49%
No (413)
66.51%

Watched Threads