Is it possible to take courses in University that you haven't taken in A - Level?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just curious in advance, if I wanted to take, for example, Computer Science in Uni, but I wasn't able to take it in Sixth form / College due to the course not being available, would I still be able to do it?
riddhi.78
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check your universities' requirements
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just curious in advance, if I wanted to take, for example, Computer Science in Uni, but I wasn't able to take it in Sixth form / College due to the course not being available, would I still be able to do it?
Hello,

This will usually depend on the course. For some courses, you don’t need to study the exact subject at A level that you are wanting to do for your degree. For example, I do Law at Uni, but I didn’t do Law as an A level, as it wasn't offered in my Sixth form. However, some courses may require you to study a certain subject/s in order to do the course, so it’s always best to check the requirements of the course you are wanting to do😊

Zaira
Joe1000000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For Computer Science especially, yes. Because, as you say, not every college/ 6th form offers it at A Level no uni (that I'm aware of) makes it part of their core offer, although if you did have it that's obviously good as well.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the course. In the case of computer science, yes. Many universities do not even recommend studying computer science at A Level in preparation for the course. You instead want to be taking Maths and preferably Further Maths.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks everyone! Will keep this in mind, appreciate it.
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
100% possible depending on the specific course requirements.

Most Computer Science programmes and Economics programmes don’t need you to have taken the related AL for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (44)
47.31%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
22.58%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (28)
30.11%

Watched Threads