The Student Room Group

Interviews for admission

How do you know whether or not the university is being fair with the applications and are removing any bias?
Reply 1
why do you think there would be any bias? what kind of bias?

also moved your thread to Applications, Clearing and UCAS.
Most uni’s publish their admissions policy online. They’ll also be a complaints procedure for you to follow if you aren’t satisfied with the feedback on your application.
Reply 3
Original post by Joleee
why do you think there would be any bias? what kind of bias?

also moved your thread to Applications, Clearing and UCAS.

I called up SGUL after getting back my personalised feedback and I met the cut off mark after my interview. I then asked why I didn’t get an offer and XXX said we look at “other things” and I said what things. And she couldn’t tell me like she was just rambling on about other people getting that score and getting in but it’s not a guarantee. Apart from appearance or that sort of thing I’m not sure what else they’d be looking for.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by obe.ebun
I called up SGUL after getting back my personalised feedback and I met the cut off mark after my interview. I then asked why I didn’t get an offer and XXX said we look at “other things” and I said what things. And she couldn’t tell me like she was just rambling on about other people getting that score and getting in but it’s not a guarantee. Apart from appearance or that sort of thing I’m not sure what else they’d be looking for.

The person on the phone wasn't necessarily the one who conducted your interview. It could've been literally anything, even the tone with which you spoke or your answers to their questions. If someone recieved the same mark as you, but they got in and you did not, it is likely there was another factor involved such as work experience that gave them the edge.
(edited 4 years ago)
I called up SGUL after getting back my personalised feedback and I met the cut off mark after my interview. I then asked why I didn’t get an offer and she said we look at “other things” and I said what things. And she couldn’t tell me like she was just rambling on about other people getting that score and getting in but it’s not a guarantee. Apart from appearance or that sort of thing I’m not sure what else they’d be looking for.

Please remove the name of the university officer from your post. This is a breach of her privacy.

@04MR17
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by emiloujess
The person on the phone wasn't necessarily the one who conducted your interview. It could've been literally anything, even the tone with which you spoke or your answers to their questions. If someone recieved the same mark as you, but they got in and you did not, it is likely there was another factor involved such as work experience that gave them the edge.

Please remove the university officer's name from your quoted post, as above. Thanks :smile:
How do you know whether or not the university is being fair with the applications and are removing any bias?

What sort of bias are you implying?
Only in this forum it seems - no unlimited power for me :tongue: and np, I just feel silly I missed it at first - cold and sleepiness messing with my head I believe :biggrin: thanks for pointing it out!

That's no problem: very easy thing to miss. :smile: Thanks for sorting it out.
Reply 9

No because I have 7 work experiences and have references which I sent to St. George’s from all of them before my interview. And with this interview if there’s something wrong with your behaviour you get a red flag and I didn’t get a single one
Ask for written feedback. You can submit a formal complaint if you think an error has been made.

They could have scored many other things as part of their assessment, your previous qualifications, your reference, your personal statement etc. In all likelihood you just scored lower overall than other applicants.It doesn't mean that the process was biased in some way, just that other applicants were stronger overall.
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
Ask for written feedback. You can submit a formal complaint if you think an error has been made.

They could have scored many other things as part of their assessment, your previous qualifications, your reference, your personal statement etc. In all likelihood you just scored lower overall than other applicants.It doesn't mean that the process was biased in some way, just that other applicants were stronger overall.

No because other candidates got the same score and everything else was used only to get you an interview then disregarded later. I called the head of admission and she herself said she doesn’t know why I wasn’t given an offer and she’ll investigate it. The thing that’s annoying is that I felt terrible after the rejection thinking I was horrible at interviews or I wasn’t a good candidate and I was. It’s simply because they didn’t want to or maybe there were so many other people they couldn’t give everyone. I’m just thinking there would be someone else who was rejected and them being too upset to ask why and there was nothing wrong with them or their application. It was simply just the universities decision. And I don’t think you read my previous reply, there were people with the same interview score as me and got an offer. I think it’s just the people who decided who gets in that didn’t think I have the potential and I don’t mind if they don’t give me an offer it’s not by force. I just want a good enough reason, “not other things” and you can’t even explain the “other things”
(edited 4 years ago)
No because other candidates got the same score and everything else was used only to get you an interview then disregarded later. I called the head of admission and she herself said she doesn’t know why I wasn’t given an offer and she’ll investigate it. The thing that’s annoying is that I felt terrible after the rejection thinking I was horrible at interviews or I wasn’t a good candidate and I was. It’s simply because they didn’t want to or maybe there were so many other people they couldn’t give everyone. I’m just thinking there would be someone else who was rejected and them being too upset to ask why and there was nothing wrong with them or their application. It was simply just the universities decision. And I don’t think you read my previous reply, there were people with the same interview score as me and got an offer. I think it’s just the people who decided who gets in that didn’t think I have the potential and I don’t mind if they don’t give me an offer it’s not by force. I just want a good enough reason, “not other things” and you can’t even explain the “other things”

Yes, I read your previous comments. The point I was making is that there may have been other aspects of your application that were being considered, not just the interview.

You've now stated that the head of admissions is investigating this, so as above, you should await a formal response.

If it's not satisfactory, then you can make a complaint if you think it's appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending