Not want to marry you?

Watch
kostiksafiu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
You and your partner sit down to have a serious conversation about where your relationship is going and you realize they don't want to ever get married. Would you end the relationship?
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Might do.
Bluerainy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope, cause I also never want to get married... but wait I don't even have a partner to begin with 😅
emily_000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kostiksafiu)
You and your partner sit down to have a serious conversation about where your relationship is going and you realize they don't want to ever get married. Would you end the relationship?
no. Marriage for me is not important. I don't see any differences between a marriage and a relationship. Is the same thing, the only difference is the ring. You can still move together even if you are not married.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
obviously. I'm not going to waste their time.
watershower
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Before entering relationships, it’s a good idea to have in mind your limits and things you might be lenient on in the long term, such as marriage, kids, or even pets. If marriage is an absolute must, maybe try and question them about why. Is is because a wedding is expensive? You don’t want the pressure of being a wife/husband?
If after that they don’t want to get married, then it’s clearly not meant to be.
The only reason I want to get married is for financial reasons - marriage is a business!
kostiksafiu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
obviously. I'm not going to waste their time.
Is marriage really that important when you're in a relationship? Even if you both love each other and growing together?
kostiksafiu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bluerainy)
Nope, cause I also never want to get married... but wait I don't even have a partner to begin with 😅
Cool. Then you still have to wait for that person in order to decide.
jger_rams2019
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on what your goals are. If you like the stability, tax benefits, and institution of marriage and that is important for you if you are going to have a life partner, then yeah, you might want to separate. However, if marriage isn't that important to you, or if you think that it might just be an age related fear for your partner at the moment, then maybe don't base your current decision on whether to stay with them on a future decision. It's a tough one, because some people do age and decide marriage and kids are for them and others stay strong in their convictions and know those things aren't their cup of tea. A strong life partner should line up with your big ideals though.
kostiksafiu
Rep:
?
(Original post by emily_000)
no. Marriage for me is not important. I don't see any differences between a marriage and a relationship. Is the same thing, the only difference is the ring. You can still move together even if you are not married.
Yeah, I thought so too.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is marriage really that important when you're in a relationship? Even if you both love each other and growing together?
yeah, I'm Christian so there's only so much you can do as an unmarried couple. marriage is supposed to be the next step, so if I don't want to marry them for whatever reason, I would just end the relationship, because it's a waste of both of our time.
emily_000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I thought so too.
do you want children? if so ask him if he wants children. (is more important that marriage) You can have children without getting married. Nothing wrong with it.
kostiksafiu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
yeah, I'm Christian so there's only so much you can do as an unmarried couple. marriage is supposed to be the next step, so if I don't want to marry them for whatever reason, I would just end the relationship, because it's a waste of both of our time.
I got your point and certainly respects your point of view in life.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.

In fact I've ended multiple relationships over disagreements regarding marriage and children.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't even get into a relationship with someone if they didn't view me as a potential lifelong partner. But yeah obvs, there's no reason (for me at least) to be in a relationship with someone otherwise.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
There are alternatives to marriage that would accommodate the wishes of someone who has militant atheist, feminist or other dogmatic objections to marriage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (50)
14.37%
Uncertainty around my education (60)
17.24%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (34)
9.77%
Isolating with family (24)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (13)
3.74%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (25)
7.18%
Loneliness (33)
9.48%
Financial worries (12)
3.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (36)
10.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (27)
7.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (34)
9.77%

Watched Threads