Applying to study CS at uni with Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry A-levels

Watch
Demoman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Right now I study Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry but I've been thinking of dropping CS, leaving me with 3 A-levels (of which 2 are Maths). This is mainly because of the cancerous amounts of work our CS teachers give us, and the fact that most universities don't even require A-level Computer Science, only maths and further maths.

Is dropping CS a good idea, or could it screw me over down the line? Are there any universities that won't accept Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry? (I'm in Year 12 and thinking of applying to Cambridge btw)
kiiwi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
cs is mostly not required because some schools don't offer it or don't teach it well. If you drop cs they will definitely ask you for good reasons and you need to prove them if you dropped cs why do you want to do a degree on it and do you absolutely like it. (doesn't really show a good picture of you) In my opinion it's kind of looks better not doing it at all than than dropping it. You should never show signs of laziness and lack of interest to academic unis like Cambridge. If you find it hard to cope with 4 A levels chemistry is the subject you should maybe consider dropping. Beside that if you are finding y12 cs too much work think about how much work they want you to do at Cambridge.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Personally, I wouldn’t drop any of them because Further Math is usually taken as a 4th A-Level because apparently universities don’t differentiate between A-Level Math and Further Math, so they will see it as taking 3 A-Levels anyway.
kiiwi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Personally, I wouldn’t drop any of them because Further Math is usually taken as a 4th A-Level because apparently universities don’t differentiate between A-Level Math and Further Math, so they will see it as taking 3 A-Levels anyway.
The universities that I've been to all counted further maths as a really relevant and important subject and definitely a separate subject to maths. places like oxford care more about further maths than cs I think it should be similar in Cambridge. Imperial as well like further maths and it is some kind of advantage in my opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.63%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.34%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (444)
48.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed