Resitting GCSE maths for university, with 3 months worth of revision?

Watch
camcole44
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My title may be a little unclear so let me explain myself. Basically, I’ve decided I want to go to newcastle university this year to study psychology. In order to do so, I need to resit GCSE maths and get a grade 6 (or B.) I sat my GCSEs in 2018 and achieved a grade 4 in maths (standard pass) which is a pretty big difference. To be fair, I did have personal extenuating circumstances that influenced my performance, but the uni weren't bothered by them. So here lies my dilemma. I’m already not the best at maths (as you can clearly tell by my ****ty grade) and I’ve done little to no maths since I sat my GCSEs a whole 2 years ago. If I were to resit, the exams would be in about 3 months. With the lack of maths revision I’ve done in the past 2 years, I doubt I’d even pass, never mind get a grade 6. I’ve considered private tuition but it’s way too expensive. I just got off the phone with a tuition company (which may or may not be a scam) that was priced at £40 an hour. They said that, in my situation, I need to do at least 4 hours a week to get the grade I want, which would cost me a grand total of almost £2,000. No f*cking chance. I could probably find cheaper tutors but either way, tuition is going to cost me a load of money that I do not have.

To sum things up, my current maths ability (or should I say INability) + my lack of funds for a tutor + the amount of time left I have to revise before the resits = no f*cking chance of me getting the grade I need

I want to go to Newcastle university so bad. Or at least I think I do. I know deep down that if I settle for Northumbria, I’ll regret it. I was thinking of speaking to my head of sixth form and asking if I’d be able to sit the GCSE maths November resits, rather than the proper June exams. This way, I’d have all of summer to revise and could get a part-time job to help pay for a tutor. Also, I’d be done with my other A-levels so I’d be able to focus solely on maths. If I did this, I’d have to apply to uni the year after. Is this realistic or is it totally irrational? Would it be worth it to stay behind a year just to go to a uni I’m not even smart enough to go to? Please be brutally honest. Should I just go to Northumbria instead? I mean, both of the courses are accredited by the British Psychological Society. Newcastle just has a better rep. I’m sorry if this is all sounds like rambling/doesn’t really make sense, I’m in a state of frenzy. I literally have to decide *now* before there’s even LESS time.

TL;DR: I need to resit GCSE maths to do psychology at newcastle uni. With the amount of time left until the exam (about 3 months) + the fact I haven’t done maths in years, there’s little chance of me passing. What the f*ck do I do?
Snek_Lady
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by camcole44)
My title may be a little unclear so let me explain myself. Basically, I’ve decided I want to go to newcastle university this year to study psychology. In order to do so, I need to resit GCSE maths and get a grade 6 (or B.) I sat my GCSEs in 2018 and achieved a grade 4 in maths (standard pass) which is a pretty big difference. To be fair, I did have personal extenuating circumstances that influenced my performance, but the uni weren't bothered by them. So here lies my dilemma. I’m already not the best at maths (as you can clearly tell by my ****ty grade) and I’ve done little to no maths since I sat my GCSEs a whole 2 years ago. If I were to resit, the exams would be in about 3 months. With the lack of maths revision I’ve done in the past 2 years, I doubt I’d even pass, never mind get a grade 6. I’ve considered private tuition but it’s way too expensive. I just got off the phone with a tuition company (which may or may not be a scam) that was priced at £40 an hour. They said that, in my situation, I need to do at least 4 hours a week to get the grade I want, which would cost me a grand total of almost £2,000. No f*cking chance. I could probably find cheaper tutors but either way, tuition is going to cost me a load of money that I do not have.

To sum things up, my current maths ability (or should I say INability) + my lack of funds for a tutor + the amount of time left I have to revise before the resits = no f*cking chance of me getting the grade I need

I want to go to Newcastle university so bad. Or at least I think I do. I know deep down that if I settle for Northumbria, I’ll regret it. I was thinking of speaking to my head of sixth form and asking if I’d be able to sit the GCSE maths November resits, rather than the proper June exams. This way, I’d have all of summer to revise and could get a part-time job to help pay for a tutor. Also, I’d be done with my other A-levels so I’d be able to focus solely on maths. If I did this, I’d have to apply to uni the year after. Is this realistic or is it totally irrational? Would it be worth it to stay behind a year just to go to a uni I’m not even smart enough to go to? Please be brutally honest. Should I just go to Northumbria instead? I mean, both of the courses are accredited by the British Psychological Society. Newcastle just has a better rep. I’m sorry if this is all sounds like rambling/doesn’t really make sense, I’m in a state of frenzy. I literally have to decide *now* before there’s even LESS time.

TL;DR: I need to resit GCSE maths to do psychology at newcastle uni. With the amount of time left until the exam (about 3 months) + the fact I haven’t done maths in years, there’s little chance of me passing. What the f*ck do I do?
This is all my personal opinion, but I think that if you have a clear preference for Newcastle you should go for the November resits to give yourself the best chance of getting the grades you need to get in. You know your own capabilities and if you think you can't get the required grades, waiting until the later resits and staying back a year for the uni you want is a good idea. Though it probably wouldn't have too much of an effect in the long run between Newcastle and Northumbria, giving yourself the best opportunity to go to the college you want is what I would do in your position by waiting for the November resits.

Hope that if this didn't help it at least didn't hinder Xx
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by camcole44)

Havent we done this before?

If you have a full 3 months then you should be able to get yourself up to speed, if you have other exams then focus n these as this could be a distraction and you dont want to be resitting.
If as you tell us Newcastle is so important then just take a gap, resit in November, pass and get more experience or earn money, then go in 2021.
Pretty straightforward you are either an adult or about to become one, so you get to make decisions and live by the consequences. This is just a short delay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34.05%
No (492)
65.95%

Watched Threads