The Student Room Group

Is it too late to revise for GCSE'S?

Students who did good in their GCSE'S in previous years please tell me when you started to do your serious revision. Should I start now or later? My serious revision is 4 hours a day and 5 on weekends. Is this enough or too much? Thanks for reading :smile:

Scroll to see replies

its never too late, and that time seems good don't forget beaks and don't just sit their reading be active
Original post by Bashir-GCSE's
Students who did good in their GCSE'S in previous years please tell me when you started to do your serious revision. Should I start now or later? My serious revision is 4 hours a day and 5 on weekends. Is this enough or too much? Thanks for reading :smile:

This is 10x what I did considering I was predicted a D for Maths. A week before the exam I just did 10 years of past papers and then read an entire study guide that showed interesting ways of handling certain formulae. Then i got a little *help* from my friends during the exam and finished with a B, 2 marks off an A.
Did the same thing for Physics with no *help* and went from a D to a B, 4 marks from an A. At the rate you’re going considering it’s only February if you mantain ur stance you would be an A* student
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
definitely do that! i wish i could focus for that long!!
i started revising around this time too, and i went from Ds to B/A grades (4s to 6/7s and even an 8!)
just make sure you do loads and loads of past papers and attend ALL support sessions your school holds, as if they are compulsory.
wishing you the best of luck!! you've got a big storm heading your way (A LEVELS).
Original post by schowdhy
i started revising around this time too, and i went from Ds to B/A grades (4s to 6/7s and even an 8!)
just make sure you do loads and loads of past papers and attend ALL support sessions your school holds, as if they are compulsory.
wishing you the best of luck!! you've got a big storm heading your way (A LEVELS).

hi there! im also in the same position but i won't give up until i achieve 8s and 9s in my real gcse :smile: do you think its possible tho?

Speaking as someone who achieved almost all 7s,8s and 9s I'd go as far to say that it's relatively early to start revising judging off when me and my other friends started revising. Obviously it really depends on what level you're at now in your subjects to determine how much work you need to put in, but it's never too late to make a difference to your final grade. I'd say doing 2 hours of solid revision everyday starting from now is a good plan, and maybe up it to 3 or 4 as it gets closer to exam season. You really don't need to be doing loads at the moment. Just ensure you understand everything in lessons so that when it comes to revising you're simply just re-learning the content, and not coming across things for the first time! That's just my advice, but I mean I didn't do amazingly compared to other people on here.
Original post by schowdhy

I space my revision out. On school nights I revise: 4,6,8 and 10pm and take 3,5,7 and 9pm off. Then I go sleep at 11pm for 8 hours of sleep.
About now is a good time to start with an hr or 2 each night then slowly turn it up closer to exams

Make sure that you go into your revision with a plan
how do u get grade 9s in science and english
hell no it's not too late. Too late would be May.
It is definitely not too late, you can't change the past but you can change the future by from now one trying to do all that you can. Make sure you practice all the past papers again and again until you can answer all the questions without fail.

This guy got me an A* in all my sciences I watched each of his video 3 times : https://www.freesciencelessons.co.uk
For maths I used maths genie it helped a lot regarding learning all the content: https://mathsgenie.co.uk

For maths just practice all questions the more you do the better it is as there is only so much questions they can make up. For English literature read all the books. Also make sure you redraft essays if you haven't done well in an essay. Memorise English exemplars and all the possible points you can make.I wish you all the best :smile:
its annoying that schools just pile the homework even more, and you basically can't do any revision
furthermore, for most subject we won't finish the syllabus until a week before the exam:frown:

lol, real talk i done day before revision for all my exams and got all 7's minimum with a few 8's and 9's. If you're doing 4 hours a day and 5 on weekends you're chilling. Just make sure you're doing the right type of revision e.g past papers and loads of questions
I did my GCSEs two years ago and I finished with 2 9s, 7 8s and a 7. I probably started revision for some a month ago, some a week before... some the day before :colondollar: don't do that. But honestly, you're doing so much - if you can handle it, great! But don't burn yourself out.
Reply 15
What's the alternative? Don't revise?

If you have condensed notes and a good memory - you could do them the night before,
there is a company who are sending out english lit/lang papers gcse and they are being marked by real gcse aqa english markers, and with that are given back detailed feedback on how to improve, i did it this time last year and it got me from grade 6 to full marks in the real exam for paper 2 lit :smile:) i can send you my paper by email if u thought this may be a help for revision! i think it’s free at the moment

their email is [email protected]
Reply 18
Original post by azby1098
there is a company who are sending out english lit/lang papers gcse and they are being marked by real gcse aqa english markers, and with that are given back detailed feedback on how to improve, i did it this time last year and it got me from grade 6 to full marks in the real exam for paper 2 lit :smile:) i can send you my paper by email if u thought this may be a help for revision! i think it’s free at the moment

their email is [email protected]

can you please send me yours by email?
i’ll PM you if you do want to :smile:)
Reply 19
I surprised myself with high grades of 9's, and 7's. Never been academical, never been the smart kid of the class or anything like that. I started of doing bits of revision here and there before Christmas especially in my weaker subjects. As it got closer I did more, a bit here and there but still not tonnes. A week before I got completely serious and did hours 3/4 but made sure to take breaks. To be honest don't tire yourself out make sure to take breaks and do things you enjoy in between. On days before exams I only did a couple of hours and doing fun things in-between really did help. I'd say 5 hours on the weekend is excessive and you'll just bore yourself out. instead just spend 2 hours and enjoy the free time you have you still have plenty of time to take it at your own pace after all it's only February. When it comes to revising it's better to do less and spread it out than do loads in a chunk.

Quick Reply

Latest