The Student Room Group

is getting majority 7s and 6s still considered good?

So i have noticed how I in my mock exams and past papers i always seem to get grade 6 and some grade 7's. However my family tell me is isn't very good and that I should get grade 8/9. Tbh I am aiming for the best possible results however this is just my parents and family view.

are all grade 6 and 7s considered good bad or average. I have been revising lots in order to live up to my parents expectations however I am afraid I will fall short.

in my mocks I got

maths 6
english lit 6
computer science 6
science 7,6
business 7
RE 8
history 6

Is this a bad performance considering I have 2 months and a half until my exams??

and how do employers and the average person rate getting 6/7?
(edited 4 years ago)
They are fine mate really. As long as they are good enough to do what you want at A levels, they are fine. 6s and 7s you should be able to do whatever A levels you want.
It’s all about stepping stones, as long as you score highly enough to the school/college/apprenticeship that you want to go into it shouldn’t matter (assuming you aren’t wanting to do medicine) :biggrin:
They're substantially better than the national average, if that's a measure you want to use :dontknow:
The issue with the new grading system, is that people think that a 6 is worse than a B because there are more grades above it. It absolutely isn't - it's a really good grade. You will also probably improve quite a bit before exams. Well done!
Original post by redmeercat
The issue with the new grading system, is that people think that a 6 is worse than a B because there are more grades above it. It absolutely isn't - it's a really good grade. You will also probably improve quite a bit before exams. Well done!

I agree having done the new system, I absolutely hate it.Imo, a 4 should be a standard C, a 5 a low B and 6 a standard B. There shouldn’t be two Cs because it just makes thing confusing.Also I don’t think there should be a 9, but obviously they would have to make getting an 8 more difficult.
Original post by ibby68
I agree having done the new system, I absolutely hate it.Imo, a 4 should be a standard C, a 5 a low B and 6 a standard B. There shouldn’t be two Cs because it just makes thing confusing.Also I don’t think there should be a 9, but obviously they would have to make getting an 8 more difficult.

Exactly! I was the first year to have majority numbers rather than letters, and (apart from the fact that a previous system had 1 as the best and worse grades going up from there) I've had several people assume that my A*s are better than by 8s, or that my 7 is much worse than my A. It just puts students under a lot more pressure to get 'perfect' grades when so few people do, and when full 9s aren't expected.
Original post by Smoky saif
So i have noticed how I in my mock exams and past papers i always seem to get grade 6 and some grade 7's. However my family tell me is isn't very good and that I should get grade 8/9. Tbh I am aiming for the best possible results however this is just my parents and family view.

are all grade 6 and 7s considered good bad or average. I have been revising lots in order to live up to my parents expectations however I am afraid I will fall short.

in my mocks I got

maths 6
english lit 6
computer science 6
science 7,6
business 7
RE 8
history 6

Is this a bad performance considering I have 2 months and a half until my exams??

and how do employers and the average person rate getting 6/7?

It all depends upon your future career goals. For mocks they seem to be okay grades as most people seem to get higher grades in the final exams. You should aim for the highest that you can achieve and work hard to achieve those.
Reply 8
Original post by redmeercat

yeah I agree they system is really confusing. Most people don't even understand they system it would be better if they just stuck to the old system.

And thank you I hope I will improve
Reply 9
Original post by laurawatt
It’s all about stepping stones, as long as you score highly enough to the school/college/apprenticeship that you want to go into it shouldn’t matter (assuming you aren’t wanting to do medicine) :biggrin:

What grades would I need for medicine? I got a 7 in biology, and 6 in chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest