Why do I feel this way. Support system.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have one friend who is my support system I trust with everything and she is a friend, therapist, mother figure and plays so many roles.

And she listens to my worries and when I'm feeling down. Sometimes she does not reply and I feel she hates me but then I try to reassure myself that she is busy. And that she does not hate me or is not fed up of me!
She is the first and only person I have trusted and been so open with and I feel I worry I lose her. I know I sound really stupid but I'm being honest.

Any suggestions of what I can do about the way I feel? I don't know whether I should tell my friend that I feel I'm dependent on her emotionally that when she doesn't reply this is how I feel and i worry about losing her and her hating me. As she is aware of all my worries.

Thank you.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you aren't already, you need to be finding other means of support, such as school/student counsellor or getting help through your GP. You need to learn some coping mechanisms as this is a lot to put on your friend and you aren't managing if the friend isn't there. You haven't said what stage you are at (work/studies?) but you both have your lives to live and there should be no emotional pressure put on your friend; they will have their own issurs to deal with and should be able to move on to other things without guilt.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
If you aren't already, you need to be finding other means of support, such as school/student counsellor or getting help through your GP. You need to learn some coping mechanisms as this is a lot to put on your friend and you aren't managing if the friend isn't there. You haven't said what stage you are at (work/studies?) but you both have your lives to live and there should be no emotional pressure put on your friend; they will have their own issurs to deal with and should be able to move on to other things without guilt.
I am currently at university. And do you think I'm not being fair by sharing my worries and being open to her? I feel guilty knowing that.

I have been encouraged to seek counselling/therapy which I did try for a few months but it just was not for me. I am an introvert and I find it hard to open up to people and I cannot open up to strangers, I only can open up to someone I know well and trust.

Exactly! It hurts me to know that I am pulling her into my own worries. And I do worry she may have her own issues to deal with- I do often ask her how she is doing as I do not want to be a burden.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am currently at university. And do you think I'm not being fair by sharing my worries and being open to her? I feel guilty knowing that.

I have been encouraged to seek counselling/therapy which I did try for a few months but it just was not for me. I am an introvert and I find it hard to open up to people and I cannot open up to strangers, I only can open up to someone I know well and trust.

Exactly! It hurts me to know that I am pulling her into my own worries. And I do worry she may have her own issues to deal with- I do often ask her how she is doing as I do not want to be a burden.
Trust me. I’m in the same situation!! Don’t know what to do. When she doesn’t reply I feel like crap too. I know this isn’t fair but I know I’m her only support too and when I visited her at her uni she’s always on her phone so why she replies to me so late, like days later, I don’t get it. Maybe she’s fed up but maybe she should tell me that. It’s annoying being treated like this. We’re suppose to be best friends
Anonymous #1
Bump!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (14)
73.68%
No (3)
15.79%
Not sure (2)
10.53%

Watched Threads