Lesbian and sharing a room at uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm pretty obviously lesbian and a lot of straight girls in my small town, conservative sixth form ostracise me for this- not even for liking girls so much as for being masculine and into nerdy stuff. For example, I don't often shave my legs, and I don't want to have nasty things said about me if I choose not to, because that is entirely my own business and perfectly hygienic.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

University is typically people grow up. I had a homosexual flatmate and nobody gave him any stick for it. We're grown ups.
That isn't to say some people aren't coarse and stupid. When you make decisions like not shaving your legs, it's (for whatever reason) polarising to people who don't understand. It's your body, and so long as you're hygienic and recognise it's your business, it's not something you should pay any attention to.

I think you'd be absolutely fine, and anyone who were to say anything homophobic or rude would probably be thrown out of accommodation (or severely warned) if you reported them. Not that you want it to come to that, I am sure it wouldn't, but there's always the what if!

Joshua
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm pretty obviously lesbian and a lot of straight girls in my small town, conservative sixth form ostracise me for this- not even for liking girls so much as for being masculine and into nerdy stuff. For example, I don't often shave my legs, and I don't want to have nasty things said about me if I choose not to, because that is entirely my own business and perfectly hygienic.
Not many UK university halls have two-person rooms (unless you choose to share with your partner), so you probably won't need to worry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (110)
60.11%
No (73)
39.89%

Watched Threads