Are retaken modules 'capped'?

Watch
NHSFan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can anyone help, please?

I am aware that retakes are capped at 40%, but I have just heard of someone who failed a module resit, so retook a module and passed well. This was not capped and they ended with a first class degree. This seems to me to be grossly unfair.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NHSFan)
Can anyone help, please?

I am aware that retakes are capped at 40%, but I have just heard of someone who failed a module resit, so retook a module and passed well. This was not capped and they ended with a first class degree. This seems to me to be grossly unfair.
Retaking a module (i.e. re-enrolling) is a different matter to resetting. When someone re-enrols, they have to repeat all the assessments again (ie. all the coursework), attend lectures and take the examinations. They thus are not capped like someone who has just failed an examination at the first attempt, and is being offered a referral (retake) - but without the onerous task of having to repeat the whole module again.

I don't see why this is 'unfair', to be honest. Re-enrolling on a module isn't a free pass: it often means that you have to extend your degree by one year, if you cannot 'carry' the failure forwards.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NHSFan)
Can anyone help, please?

If you're that worried about it, make a formal complaint about the procedure. Have you ever had to resit? It would explain your perspective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (43)
46.74%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
22.83%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (28)
30.43%

Watched Threads