?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
--
Lizzon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. i am a student planning on applying to Cambridge NatSci (physical) from Norway. I come from a middle class family, state school. Good grades, but not super good. But I love my subject and want to study here. I am thorn between what Cambridge College to apply to, because there are a lot.

I was thinking Kings college first, because it has a good amount of international students and looks like a cool place. But they apparently have average accommodation and a ton of tourists. Dunno how manageable that will be.

St.Catherines also looks very cozy and has a nice community feel to it. But unsure if it's the right choice, when their websites says they dont prefer interviews via Skype. I believe I can travel to the college, but I'm unsure about the visa stuff and they said some students get turned down because they dont get their visas approved in time.

I want a college that will be nice to stay inn. Is friendly. Helps me financially somehow. I dont care about parties or alcohol. nice library. looks at my passion and helps me reach my goals, and stuff. I am a kinda introverted and shy person. But once I get comfortable, I am very loyal and friendly. But wouldn't prefer a too though environment.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lizzon)
Hi. i am a student planning on applying to Cambridge NatSci (physical) from Norway. I come from a middle class family, state school. Good grades, but not super good. But I love my subject and want to study here. I am thorn between what Cambridge College to apply to, because there are a lot.

I was thinking Kings college first, because it has a good amount of international students and looks like a cool place. But they apparently have average accommodation and a ton of tourists. Dunno how manageable that will be.

St.Catherines also looks very cozy and has a nice community feel to it. But unsure if it's the right choice, when their websites says they dont prefer interviews via Skype. I believe I can travel to the college, but I'm unsure about the visa stuff and they said some students get turned down because they dont get their visas approved in time.

I want a college that will be nice to stay inn. Is friendly. Helps me financially somehow. I dont care about parties or alcohol. nice library. looks at my passion and helps me reach my goals, and stuff. I am a kinda introverted and shy person. But once I get comfortable, I am very loyal and friendly. But wouldn't prefer a too though environment.
They are all the same and you might get pooled anyway, so pick the one you just like the most. All Colleges have nice parts, all Colleges are friendly, all Colleges help you with finances. You don't need a visa to travel to the UK if you have a Norwegian passport.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lizzon)

No Colleges use Skype* for undergraduate interviews. You don't need a visa to travel to the UK from Norway. *Except in very limited cases.

Also note that if you do get an offer there's a roughly 20% chance it will be from a different College because of Cambridge's winter pooling system. So don't get too worried about College choice.

All Colleges have small financial grants/awards for things like travel, academic merit, extracurricular activities, etc - but they are fairly small.

More significant financial support is arranged at the University level if your household income qualifies.

See: https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac...er-information
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Doones)
No Colleges use Skype* for undergraduate interviews. You don't need a visa to travel to the UK from Norway. *Except in very limited cases.

Also note that if you do get an offer there's a roughly 20% chance it will be from a different College because of Cambridge's winter pooling system. So don't get too worried about College choice.

All Colleges have small financial grants/awards for things like travel, academic merit, extracurricular activities, etc - but they are fairly small.

More significant financial support is arranged at the University level if your household income qualifies.

See: https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac...er-information
The skype interviews seem to be more of an Oxford thing. If you can't get to Cambridge, have a look at some college videos and pics to see if you like the look of the place. Does one college have nicer facilities than others? Do they have a society you like the look of? Have a close look at the college websites. Or even better if you could get to an open day.

All the colleges help you reach your goals. They are amazing at that, trust me.

If you are a female student, you could do worse than Newnham. I helped someone get there recently. Although it is all female, it is tucked away and away from the tourists, but is very near to the Sidgewick site. Also their social life often tends to revolve around the local nightclubs. Most if not all of her friends have boyfriends. It is relatively easy to meet men either on your course or your friends' course.

The gardens are beautiful and a quiet air of girl power is discernable at the college (according to my friend).

https://www.newn.cam.ac.uk/

Plus Mary Beard teaches classics there and Emma Thompson sometimes visits...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (22)
73.33%
No (4)
13.33%
Not sure (4)
13.33%

Watched Threads