How to write an essay in academic style

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm in my second year of uni and I think my technique of writing essays is not effective. I think I'm still used to the way of writing my essays in college which is looking quite basic in my perspective.

I have struggled with English Language since secondary school and have repeated it 3 times. I'm thrilled to have passed it 2 years ago achieving a grade 5 in the new 9-1 marking scheme. All the knowledge I have learnt in English about writing, I have forgotten. And can't really apply it to my current work.

I want my writing for my essays in uni to be academic, coherent and structured very well where the point and explanation is clear. My lecturers at uni have mentioned that we need to improve the way of writing.

Is there any advice to help me?

(A template or guidance for me to follow would be pretty much beneficial. )
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm in my second year of uni and I think my technique of writing essays is not effective. I think I'm still used to the way of writing my essays in college which is looking quite basic in my perspective.

I have struggled with English Language since secondary school and have repeated it 3 times. I'm thrilled to have passed it 2 years ago achieving a grade 5 in the new 9-1 marking scheme. All the knowledge I have learnt in English about writing, I have forgotten. And can't really apply it to my current work.

I want my writing for my essays in uni to be academic, coherent and structured very well where the point and explanation is clear. My lecturers at uni have mentioned that we need to improve the way of writing.

Is there any advice to help me?

(A template or guidance for me to follow would be pretty much beneficial. )
Either look on the website for academic support or ask at the library or ask at the student union.
They often give study support for students and can teach you the basics of essay writing.
Alternatively buy a book from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=essay+w...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My university runs writing course for all disclipines. They are not credit bearing. I did 10 weeks in semester 1 on principles of academic writing, plus they recommended books as well and websites.
I also got specific books off eBay second hand - how to write good law essays etc.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
you honestly just have to read, read, read and think about the style of the writer. what do they do that makes the writing effective? why are you persuaded? how can you copy that?

whatever you do, do not try to sound 'academic'. i remember first year the lecturers drilling into our heads that academic writing is not fancy writing. you don't sound like a good writer by using 'big words' or complicated sentences. if you read academic writing, you'll notice it's pretty simple and straightforward. what subject you studying?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
whatever you do, do not try to sound 'academic'. i remember first year the lecturers drilling into our heads that academic writing is not fancy writing. you don't sound like a good writer by using 'big words' or complicated sentences. if you read academic writing, you'll notice it's pretty simple and straightforward.
I couldn't agree with this more.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey,

Joleee probably gave some of the best advice here. Read. Read academic texts. Once you get a handle on that, you'll kind of have an idea of the style and what you should write yourself. I agree with not trying to sound 'academic', but be wary of being too blunt and simple. Use a good, strong vocabulary, just not an unnecessary one. You don't want to sound like a thesaurus threw up on your essay.

A lot of it just clicked by writing more essays, for me. I learned to reference better. Nosed around Google for texts and tips and tricks on how to structure things, visually, grammatically, etcetera.

Hope this helps!
Joshua
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads