Chose less highers - can i still get into Glasgow med?

Watch
Dee.sarah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I only have 3 in s5 but am planning on taking courses in college and s6 to gain qualifications, would Universities accept that? Or did i HAVE to do 5 highers in s5?
chubchubbs
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dee.sarah)
I only have 3 in s5 but am planning on taking courses in college and s6 to gain qualifications, would Universities accept that? Or did i HAVE to do 5 highers in s5?
Take my advice with a grain of salt but Glasgow requires a minimum of 5 As in higher at the first sitting (in s5). So no most Scottish unis would not accept 3 in S5 when the minimum grade requirements for medicine are 5 highers.

UNLESS you have extenuating circumstances that may have affected these choices. You can read more about it here.
https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...=entry,highers
Last edited by chubchubbs; 1 month ago
Dee.sarah
Rep:
?
(Original post by chubchubbs)
Take my advice with a grain of salt but Glasgow requires a minimum of 5 As in higher at the first sitting (in s5). So no most Scottish unis would not accept 3 in S5 when the minimum grade requirements for medicine are 5 highers.

UNLESS you have extenuating circumstances that may have affected these choices. You can read more about it here.
https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...=entry,highers
What if i take more highers in s6?
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What if i take more highers in s6?
Again, sadly no. If you do not have any extenuating circumstances they would immediately reject your application as you haven't got the 5 higher they specifically require in S5. It will not matter how many you take in S6.

If your heart is still set on medicine there are always other options, like GEM!
Dee.sarah
Rep:
?
Would access to medicine help? Thank you
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would access to medicine help? Thank you
Not entirely sure as there are multiple different ones such as REACH. Which one are you a part of?
Dee.sarah
Rep:
?
Not entirely sure as there are multiple different ones such as REACH. Which one are you a part of?
Im still in S5 but I’ve done research and apparently there are SWAP access to medicine courses in colleges, would they help?
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im still in S5 but I’ve done research and apparently there are SWAP access to medicine courses in colleges, would they help?
I have no idea about your situation or what colleges but if you are willing to take a few more years to attempt to get into SWAP (highly competitive program) then you should do great!
Dee.sarah
Rep:
?
I have no idea about your situation or what colleges but if you are willing to take a few more years to attempt to get into SWAP (highly competitive program) then you should do great!
Thank you! You really helped me a lot!
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! You really helped me a lot!
No problem! If you want more help from experts you should probably move this to the medicine forum and get them to help you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads