studentzz123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Suppose a driver has a car and a garage of equal proper length. The driver speeds toward the garage and a doorman at the garage is instructed to slam the door shut as soon as the back end of the car enters the garage. According to the doorman, “the car Lorentz contracted and easily fitted into the garage when I slammed the door.” According to the driver, “the garage Lorentz contracted and was too small for the car when I entered the garage.” Explain what really happens? Is the doorman’s statement correct? Is the driver’s statement correct?
Hamdan_Naeem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by studentzz123)
Suppose a driver has a car and a garage of equal proper length. The driver speeds toward the garage and a doorman at the garage is instructed to slam the door shut as soon as the back end of the car enters the garage. According to the doorman, “the car Lorentz contracted and easily fitted into the garage when I slammed the door.” According to the driver, “the garage Lorentz contracted and was too small for the car when I entered the garage.” Explain what really happens? Is the doorman’s statement correct? Is the driver’s statement correct?
GCSE student, ik nothing about A level Physics. But this sounds something like Albert Einstein's theory, excluding the car is travelling at c (299,000,000m/s). This could be due to perception, i.e the position. For the doorman, it will look like he has seen the car pass comfortably through. But because the driver is in motion at x momentum/velocity it is different for him due to space-time (Special Relativity). Regardless, this is probably not in the A level spec and has some rational explanation to it, maybe something you've learnt in class? I just saw this Q and answered cus I was bored, this all could be wrong lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads