Hannah’s journey to 3A*s at A level

Watch
?Hannah?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone,
I am an aspiring A2 student, taking my A levels this summer period. My subjects include:
- Biology (predicted A*)
- Chemistry (predicted A*)
- Geography (predicted A)
Shall be using this thread in order to help track my progress from now until the exams. Honestly, I am one scared girl, but we will have to see what happens🤣 I have had anxiety pretty much all of my life, but now think about how there are other options for me to undertake if I do not achieve my A level grades and that helps me to just power through

UNI:
I hope to attend the University of Birmingham beginning this September. My offer received is known as an attainment offer, whereby I only need to achieve 3Cs provided that I make the University my firm choice. However, given what I have been through and the amount of work I have put into A levels, I only think it’s right for me to at least attempt and have a go at trying to achieve the top grades possible.

GCSES:
English Literature - A*
English Langauge - A*
RS - A*
Geography - A*
Biology - A* (remarked)
Chemistry - A* (remarked)
Physics - A*
Maths - A (half a mark off an A* even after remark!)
Statistics - 8

Due to the utter craziness of year 13, posts will be short and sweet, but I will try my hardest to provide regular updates
Last edited by ?Hannah?; 3 weeks ago
ethancruise15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're on track for 3 A*'s, didn't you want to attend somewhere a bit more aspirational than Birmingham? Or did you just like the University a lot.
Emman.78
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ?Hannah?)
Hey everyone,
I am an aspiring A2 student, taking my A levels this summer period. My subjects include:
- Biology (predicted A*)
Shall be using this thread in order to help track my progress from now until the exams. Honestly, I am one scared girl, but we will have to see what happens🤣 I have had anxiety pretty much all of my life, but now think about how there are other options for me to undertake if I do not achieve my A level grades and that helps me to just power through

UNI:
I hope to attend the University of Birmingham beginning this September. My offer received is known as an attainment offer, whereby I only need to achieve 3Cs provided that I make the University my firm choice. However, given what I have been through and the amount of work I have put into A levels, I only think it’s right for me to at least attempt and have a go at attempting to achieve the top grades possible.

GCSES:
English Literature - A*
English Langauge - A*
RS - A*
Geography - A*
Biology - A* (remarked)
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Statistics - 8
Best of luck to you. What course did you apply for at uni? Im currently in year 12 and take biology, chemistry and maths. How do you revise for each biology and chemistry, and do you have any tips? I don’t find biology or chemistry particularly difficult, but I have a medical condition that has meant I have missed a lot this year so I have a lot of content to catch up on.
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
(Original post by ethancruise15)
If you're on track for 3 A*'s, didn't you want to attend somewhere a bit more aspirational than Birmingham? Or did you just like the University a lot.
Heya! I did consider Oxbridge and some of the London universities, but realised that they probably wouldn’t be the best environment for me, given how stressed I can get etc. Birmingham is lovely and was probably the most aspirational out of all of the Universities that I did end up applying for in the end. But I do see your point in regards to the fact that I should have perhaps applied to more prestigious places too.
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emman.78)
Best of luck to you. What course did you apply for at uni? Im currently in year 12 and take biology, chemistry and maths. How do you revise for each biology and chemistry, and do you have any tips? I don’t find biology or chemistry particularly difficult, but I have a medical condition that has meant I have missed a lot this year so I have a lot of content to catch up on.
Hey there! Thank you so much And best of luck to you too. I have applied for Biochemistry Would have done Medicine, but just didn’t think it was the right sort of career for me! Biology and Chemistry are definitely my favourite subjects x And with Chemistry, now that I have a really good understanding of the content, I am just going to be doing practice questions from now up until the exam as I really do need to develop my technique in order to get that A* due to how high the grade boundaries are. With Biology, since there is a considerable amount of content and it’s super important to have a firm understanding of everything, I will be continuing to review my flash cards as well as undertaking further practice questions - we do a lot of practice in class anyway. My exam boards are AQA for Biology and OCR A for Chemistry. Let me know if I can send over notes or anything x
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone,
- Biology (predicted A*)

UNI:
I hope to attend the University of Birmingham beginning this September. My offer received is known as an attainment offer, whereby I only need to achieve 3Cs provided that I make the University my firm choice. However, given what I have been through and the amount of work I have put into A levels, I only think it’s right for me to at least attempt and have a go at trying to achieve the top grades possible.

GCSES:
English Literature - A*
English Langauge - A*
RS - A*
Geography - A*
Biology - A* (remarked)
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Statistics - 8
Your grades have been amazing so far, well done!
I'd just like to give a little bit of advice: don't set yourself a target of 3 A*s. I'm not saying its unachievable, with your grades you are most likely going to achieve that; but if you don't you'll be devastated and it might be a knock to your self confidence! I'm only saying this because I knew a girl who got allA* at GCSE and didn't get all A*s at a level and she was absolutely devastated, it really affected her!
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
PLAN FOR THE DAY:
Not going to lie to you all, I have been revising every day this half term so am exhausted 🤣 Plus, my sleep schedule is definitely messed up as I have been working late and getting up late - not ideal. Anyway, today I plan to complete the following:
- Finish mitigation for the Amazon case study in Geography
- Then I shall either finish the theory for water & carbon or complete two further case studies today. I have mocks in two and a half weeks and am behind on revision by a day - owing to the fact I had a bit of a break down on the first day of half term, oops
Emman.78
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks! I’m actually planning on applying for medicine myself!! I am a person who doesn’t like memorising that much, so do you think it would be ok if I do practice questions then refer back to my notes and annotate/highlight important stuff? I think it’s more beneficial for me and then it may enable me to make flashcards nearer to exam season based on the typical mark scheme answers. Do you have any work on practicals or notes on section 4 of year 1 that you can send me? If not don’t worry, but it would really help me while I catch up!
Last edited by Emman.78; 4 weeks ago
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! All the best for this year! Do the other unis you’ve applied for have the same sort of grade requirements? There’s always a thing called “adjustment” on results day (for people who did better on their exams than the unis they applied for, there are some courses at some unis open if you get the grades for them instead - obviously you’d want to go where you will feel most comfortable though)
I’m in Y12 doing geography - do you have anything you would have done differently in y12 to ease the workload for this year?
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
Hey everyone! Haven’t posted in the last few days as haven’t had the time Managed to grind through a lot of Geography revision in the last two days of half term, and covered climate change mitigation, Stratford case study and the River Mole cade study (which was lengthy asf!)

Went back to college today and had Chemistry and Geography. Chemistry was fun in a way as we started buffers, which was relatively interesting. The subject is definitely one of my favourites, but the high grade boundaries are most definitely not attractive at all! Geography was our globalisation lesson and we covered an introduction to TNCs, which wasn’t too bad at all

Tonight, I am planning on revising Geography - hoping to tackle the inter connectivity of the water and carbon cycle, as well as the impact of climate change. Once having completed those, I will have covered three out of the five topics that we shall be tested on for mocks in a few weeks time - stress! Trying not to get too stressed re mocks due to the fact that they are not the real exams and it simply isn’t worth getting anxious or worked up over them - they are there to help us learn
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Hi! All the best for this year! Do the other unis you’ve applied for have the same sort of grade requirements? There’s always a thing called “adjustment” on results day (for people who did better on their exams than the unis they applied for, there are some courses at some unis open if you get the grades for them instead - obviously you’d want to go where you will feel most comfortable though)
I’m in Y12 doing geography - do you have anything you would have done differently in y12 to ease the workload for this year?
Hey! Thank you so much And with adjustment, do you have to be released from your firm choice uni before applying for it? xx Need to do more research really xx

With Geography, it’s not too difficult provided that you give yourself sufficient time to revise and break everything down into manageable sections - otherwise it may begin to feel quite overwhelming Good luck! Sure you will do amazingly
Anonymous_4657
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heya! I did consider Oxbridge and some of the London universities, but realised that they probably wouldn’t be the best environment for me, given how stressed I can get etc. Birmingham is lovely and was probably the most aspirational out of all of the Universities that I did end up applying for in the end. But I do see your point in regards to the fact that I should have perhaps applied to more prestigious places too.
You should consider Durham or St Andrews. They are very prestigious unis. Less stressful then oxbridge and you get a better degree then you would at Birmingham. You could try adjustment on results day or take a gap year and reapply.
Last edited by Anonymous_4657; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous_4657
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone,
- Biology (predicted A*)

UNI:

GCSES:
English Literature - A*
English Langauge - A*
RS - A*
Geography - A*
Biology - A* (remarked)
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Statistics - 8
Also have you created a revision timetable for Easter yet?
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey! Thank you so much And with adjustment, do you have to be released from your firm choice uni before applying for it? xx Need to do more research really xx

With Geography, it’s not too difficult provided that you give yourself sufficient time to revise and break everything down into manageable sections - otherwise it may begin to feel quite overwhelming Good luck! Sure you will do amazingly
No, I don’t think you have to release
This is from the ucas website
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  9E23DAE0-183E-47BF-8B7D-738E14D34839.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  102.9 KB

Thank you! I’m starting to revise geography a bit now as we’ve finished a human and physical topic each
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous_4657)
Also have you created a revision timetable for Easter yet?
Not yet! I have mocks in a few weeks, so just trying to get through those first prior to thinking about what I am going to do over Easter x I have a good idea though about what I want to be focusing on/what I still need to do prior my actual A levels
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Hannah! :hello: Good to see you're making good progress throughout the year so far and that you have an offer! :banana: Hope you're keeping well and good luck with the mocks!
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
PLAN FOR TODAY:
- Finished revision for water and carbon last night, which I am pretty happy about. Will have to take time to review and reflect prior to the mock exam though in order to ensure that the knowledge is at the forefront of my mind- Geography mock is officially two weeks tomorrow!
- Today, I hope to begin revision for globalisation and complete three lesson's worth of work reviewal
- If I have time (which I probably won't, haha), I will write my Biology essay!

Hope everyone is having a good and productive day
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone! Sorry that I have not posted in a long time, have been super busy with college and revision!
Managed to get a lot of work completed last week, finishing water and carbon and also globalisation - but one more day's work on this topic is probably required.
Not going to lie to you all, I am absolutely exhausted, but remaining positive and motivated as this should all hopefully be worth it in the end (fingers crossed), although it is such a struggle!
Last week in college, we began pack 20/22 in biology, which is about glucose and hormones etc. We continued with buffers and neutralisation in chemistry. In Geography, TNCs were completed, as well as the storm hazards section of the specification.

Today, I plan to undertake the following as I had a lie in after a full day of revision yesterday and just being exhausted in general:
- Introduction to hazards
- Management of hazards - Parks curve, hazards management cycle
- Risk and Vulnerability
The above topics should hopefully take no more than six hours
- I then need to revise for my acids chemistry test that is taking place tomorrow morning first thing!

Will update you all Hopefully everyone is having a great day
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by emilynxlan)
Hi Hannah! :hello: Good to see you're making good progress throughout the year so far and that you have an offer! :banana: Hope you're keeping well and good luck with the mocks!
Thank you so much xx
Fazzy_77
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck with the chemistry test!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads