Determining Statement Truth or Falsity

Watch
mathboy3495
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello, I came across this question and I'm a bit confused when it comes to the answer.

∀x∃y(x+y=2 ∧ 2x−y=1)

My attempt was to solve this simultaneously.I found out that they cross at (1/2, 3/2)

But what does this mean in terms of determining the truth/falsity?

Thank you
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mathboy3495)
Hello, I came across this question and I'm a bit confused when it comes to the answer.

∀x∃y(x+y=2 ∧ 2x−y=1)

My attempt was to solve this simultaneously.I found out that they cross at (1/2, 3/2)

Thank you
You've made an error somewhere as that point doesn't satisfy both equations.

As regards to whether it's true of not, what does the statement mean if you said it in english?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

∀x∃y(x+y=2 ∧ 2x−y=1)

Thank you
You have the equations of two lines. What does there being a solution for all x require?
mathboy3495
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
You've made an error somewhere as that point doesn't satisfy both equations.

As regards to whether it's true of not, what does the statement mean if you said it in english?
Ah yes, i got (1,1) now

The question is saying that for every x, I can find some y that satisfies both equations?
mathboy3495
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You have the equations of two lines. What does there being a solution for all x require?
Some value of y?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 8 months ago
Ah yes, i got (1,1) now

The question is saying that for every x, I can find some y that satisfies both equations?
Yep.

So, is it true. For each x is there a y such that those two equations are true? If you're unsure, check a few cases, is it true for x=0 say?
mathboy3495
Rep:
?
Yep.

So, is it true. For each x is there a y such that those two equations are true? If you're unsure, check a few cases, is it true for x=0 say?
False for x=0 as it gives different y values. So is the only method to find that the statement is true/false is to test certain x values?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 8 months ago
False for x=0 as it gives different y values. So is the only method to find that the statement is true/false is to test certain x values?
No, there are other methods depending on the context.

In this case since the two equations have a unique solution then they are only satisfied by one value of x. So, the statement cannot be true for all x.

Bare in mind that to show something is true for all whatever, you need to check all cases - this isn't usually as bad as it seems as you can often use a general agrument. To show it's false you only need to fine one counter-example.
mathboy3495
Rep:
?
No, there are other methods depending on the context.

In this case since the two equations have a unique solution then they are only satisfied by one value of x. So, the statement cannot be true for all x.

Bare in mind that to show something is true for all whatever, you need to check all cases - this isn't usually as bad as it seems as you can often use a general agrument. To show it's false you only need to fine one counter-example.
Thanks a lot
hoosie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
At the point of intersection of the two straight lines x + y = 2 and 2x - y = 1 there is only one x value ( 1) and one y value (1) which satisfies both equations. If you and a friend are travelling along the lines towards their intersection there is only one point where you both occupy the same position at the same time (simultaneously). This is why we call these equations a pair of simultaneous equations.
Can you think of a case where the two lines don’t cross i.e where there is no solution to the simultaneous equations?
mathboy3495
Rep:
?
(Original post by hoosie)
At the point of intersection of the two straight lines x + y = 2 and 2x - y = 1 there is only one x value ( 1) and one y value (1) which satisfies both equations. If you and a friend are travelling along the lines towards their intersection there is only one point where you both occupy the same position at the same time (simultaneously). This is why we call these equations a pair of simultaneous equations.
Can you think of a case where the two lines don’t cross i.e where there is no solution to the simultaneous equations?
When they're parallel?
hoosie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads