mfjm.rizvi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
I have to choose my A levels soon and as I plan to build my career in medicine I chose: Maths, Chemistry and Biology. However my school is offering a 4th option to take and then drop as AS, I don't know whether to take Computer Science or do an EPQ (Extended Project).
What do you guys suggest would be better?
(I did do Computer Science as a GCSE)

Thank you
in.cendium
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From my experience and people at my school...

EPQ was a waste of time unless your university course takes it into consideration if you get an A/B in it - some uni's may lower your offer slightly, it's not something to count on though especially with medicine. For example on the website for Sheffield it says 'Our offer for applicants offering an EPQ taken alongside A Levels is AAB at A Level plus an A grade or above in your EPQ.'

Computer Science, I know there's coursework for it which people missed deadlines for - however as your dropping it after AS you might not have to do it. Other than that I don't know much, other than it's an interesting AS/A-Level.

Hope this helps
mfjm.rizvi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by in.cendium)
From my experience and people at my school...

EPQ was a waste of time unless your university course takes it into consideration if you get an A/B in it - some uni's may lower your offer slightly, it's not something to count on though especially with medicine. For example on the website for Sheffield it says 'Our offer for applicants offering an EPQ taken alongside A Levels is AAB at A Level plus an A grade or above in your EPQ.'

Computer Science, I know there's coursework for it which people missed deadlines for - however as your dropping it after AS you might not have to do it. Other than that I don't know much, other than it's an interesting AS/A-Level.

Hope this helps
Thank you so much.
Wilson1218
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At my school an EPQ is mandatory, but we were given class time for it. I ended up doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and a Physics EPQ, in which I got an A. This caused half of my uni choices to lower my grade requirements, in Exeter's case by 2 grades (A*AA to AAB). An EPQ is worth more than an AS-level (EPQ is 50% of an A-level, and AS-level is 40%), so if you get class time in school to do it (and want to do it) then I would suggest that. AS-level qualifications don't usually get taken into consideration by UK universities that care about actual grades (and not just UCAS points).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.22%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.9%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.17%
I need help with my personal statement (73)
41.95%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
22.99%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.72%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
8.05%

Watched Threads