bluemango7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Accommodation - as a textile student applying for 2020 entry, what is the best choice of accommodation? - in terms of: price, distance(to the uni & to town) etc. Is it possible to mix with BU students?>> Is this a good choice?

Student Union - I know that the AUB SU isn’t very large and if I want to take part in more societies I can do so at BU, do a lot of students do this? Do you find joining BU SU societies allows you to mix more? Do you have to pay for any of the societies?

Any help is much appreciated
Kaibo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bluemango7)
Accommodation - as a textile student applying for 2020 entry, what is the best choice of accommodation? - in terms of: price, distance(to the uni & to town) etc. Is it possible to mix with BU students?>> Is this a good choice?

Student Union - I know that the AUB SU isn’t very large and if I want to take part in more societies I can do so at BU, do a lot of students do this? Do you find joining BU SU societies allows you to mix more? Do you have to pay for any of the societies?

Any help is much appreciated
Hey, I'm a first year Film student at AUB so hopefully I can answer some of your questions. Accommodation really depends on what you're looking for, I think all of them are similar prices, studios are more obviously, I know they're building on campus accommodation that will be available from this September so if you don't want to worry about a bus journey and aren't one to be popping to the town centre, either shopping, work or clubs/pubs wise this may be the best choice. I live in Lansdowne and love it, in Belaton House, which is private halls so it does have BU and AUB students in, and I think it works out slightly cheaper than some of the other accommodations, and it's really close by to the Asda, as well as all of the other accommodation blocks, like Skyline (which is also really nice, a few of my friends live there), Oxford point, Maderia. The bus journey from Lansdowne to the uni is only like 15 minutes, and you can get a yearly key card which is like £250 so it's really cheap for travel if you did want to live off campus, and its only like a 15 minute walk to the town centre from the accommodation area.

Regarding the mixing of unis, I've found that people who live in the AUB provided halls seem to be closer/more friendly with their flat mates as they're all first years going to the same uni and have a lot more in common straight off the bat. I'm friendly with my flatmates, all of them are second years, mix of AUB and BU, but they have established friendships already so I'm not close to them, it doesn't bother me, I've found some really lovely friends on my course, but that is definitely something to consider if you go the private housing route(eg student housing company(Belaton house), fresh student living(skyline, oxford point, mercury house), although I believe AUB does reserve some floors in skyline and oxford point for AUB first years.

Quite a few people I know do mix into BU's societies, it's the chance to meet new people that aren't on your course which is nice, I haven't yet, but am looking into joining one or two soon, kinda late to the game but oh well. I think quite a lot of the societies have a joining fee but it isn't much, if you go on the SU's page for both unis they should show prices, there are free ones as well, just depends what you want to do.
Student Roost - Bournemouth
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by bluemango7)
Hello
Here at Home Park we have students from both BU and AUB coming to live with us from September.
Home Park is in the heart of Lansdowne, its a great location being close to supermarkets and the buses.
If you'd like more information let us know, you can contact us by DM or via the Student Roost Website where we have a useful Live-Chat facility which is monitored 24/7
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (720)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (403)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.37%

Watched Threads