MAD103
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have applied for medicine for 2020 entry, been rejected post interview from SGUL and Sheffield (waiting list). Had interviews at Southampton and St. Andrews. I hold an offer from nottingham university for neuroscience. I think i would enjoy the neuroscience degree more and would love to study at nottingham, although my Gcses weren’t good enough for medicine there. I want to do medicine and am pretty sure i can get the grades, of course an offer would be helpful! Not sure what to do, whether to take a gap year and reapply to medicine if i get rejections or a top neuroscience course like UCL. Please help 😅
Keels25
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends on how much you want to study medicine and be a doctor. Ultimately, if you do neuroscience you are making a decision not to be a doctor - unless ofc you decide to apply to medicine again as a graduate (what I have done). Personally, I think Neuroscience is great, I did it for my undergrad. But it’s not medicine so you really need to be sure that it’s the right decision for you.
MAD103
Rep:
?
Yeah i think ultimately i want to be a doctor, athough i feel i would enjoy a neuroscience undergraduate degree more than medicine. Maybe it would be easier to just get into medicine now as it is such a long route anyway
Keels25
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are unsuccessful this year, why don’t you reapply for med next year and study an intercalated medical degree where you can fast track a Neuro degree in the third year? Then you get to do both
a_dav
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am not sure whether the universities you listed offer intercalation, but if you really want to do neuroscience you could always choose medicine and choose to intercalate in year 3/4. Some places even allow you to intercalate in another university.
Keels25
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Otherwise you have to do what I’ve done - don’t get me wrong I loved Neuro but I’m only just starting med school in September two years after graduating from neuro - it’s a long process!
MAD103
Rep:
?
yeah all of the med schools i applied to offer intercalation of some sort, one of the reasons I chose them
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would note you will almost certainly cover some content related to or incorporated in a neuroscience course in a medical degree, and you may also be able to spend an intercalated year doing neuroscience. So doing medicine wouldn't necessarily preclude you from pursuing interests related to neuroscience.

Ultimately if your primary goal is to enter the medical profession, you need to do a medical degree, and it is easier as far as admissions go, and cheaper, to do a standard entry course as a school leaver (including after a gap year - or even two or three...) rather than a graduate entry course or a standard entry course as a graduate. I would recommend then that it would be better to try and get into medicine now, rather than later, if that's your aim.
iamthestudent
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MAD103)
I have applied for medicine for 2020 entry, been rejected post interview from SGUL and Sheffield (waiting list). Had interviews at Southampton and St. Andrews. I hold an offer from nottingham university for neuroscience. I think i would enjoy the neuroscience degree more and would love to study at nottingham, although my Gcses weren’t good enough for medicine there. I want to do medicine and am pretty sure i can get the grades, of course an offer would be helpful! Not sure what to do, whether to take a gap year and reapply to medicine if i get rejections or a top neuroscience course like UCL. Please help 😅
my mate does and said that he really enjoys the course plus there are many career options that you can go into with this degree

plus if you feel like it after completing this course you can always do post grad medicine
Keels25
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m fairly sure you can intercalate Neuro at Southampton?
MAD103
Rep:
?
Yeah southampton and st andrews both offer intercalation
Keels25
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MAD103)
Yeah southampton and st andrews both offer intercalation
In that case, if you get offers from either of those I would definitely consider doing med and intercalating so you get the best of both worlds
MAD103
Rep:
?
Yeah that’s probably the best idea thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (92)
60.93%
No (59)
39.07%

Watched Threads