Does a PGCert “outrank” a BSc(Hons)?

Watch
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
If someone was awarded a BSc (Hons) (360 credits, 120 from Level 4-6).

Once they earn a PGCert (60 credits from Level 7 modules), is this now their highest qualification?

May seem like a silly question but it’s causing a debate amongst my friends.

I could see it both ways... The BSc is a degree, while the PGCert is a certificate, but a lower level at that.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
If someone was awarded a BSc (Hons) (360 credits, 120 from Level 4-6).

Once they earn a PGCert (60 credits from Level 7 modules), is this now their highest qualification?

May seem like a silly question but it’s causing a debate amongst my friends.

I could see it both ways... The BSc is a degree, while the PGCert is a certificate, but a lower level at that.
It does, but only just. A BSc would be a level 6 qualification, while a PgCert is a level 7, so would be a person's highest qualification to date.

The term 'certificate' may be the point of confusion, but it's still higher in the rankings than a BSc (although its value is debatable in terms of employability etc).
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 10 months ago
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
it's still higher in the rankings than a BSc (although its value is debatable in terms of employability etc).
You’d say having a PGCert actually makes you less employable compared to someone with a BSc?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You’d say having a PGCert actually makes you less employable compared to someone with a BSc?
I wouldn't quite go that far, but some employers may not see someone with a BSc + PgCert as being worth substantially more in terms of knowledge than someone with just a BSc, and therefore it doesn't give much of an edge/advantage.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Many employers will see a PGCert as a failed Masters degree. So when looking at two candidates, as an employer who values postgraduate skills (and that's very few, ie those that value, but don't ask for), they have one applicant who can't pass a Masters and one candidate who they have no information on. So it all boils down to the personal approach of the individual doing a the assessment - how do they balance up those two circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads