The Student Room Group

Keele Veterinary Medicine with Foundation Year

Hi, has anyone else been given an offer for the Keele Vet Med course with a foundation year?
Reply 1
yes I have! x
Hi guys! Sorry for jumping on the thread! Just wanted to congratulate you on your offers from Keele and let you know that if you have any questions regarding the university or the course, you can ask me on here and I will be more than happy to find out for you! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Keele Students
Hi guys! Sorry for jumping on the thread! Just wanted to congratulate you on your offers from Keele and let you know that if you have any questions regarding the university or the course, you can ask me on here and I will be more than happy to find out for you! :smile:

Hello! This is an old thread but the only one I could find discussing the foundation year at Keele for entry to Vet Med. I am very confused as to how it works and how to apply for it. (I am a 2025 entry applicant) Is the application deadline for the foundation year in October and therefore I cannot set it as my 5th choice or am I misinterpreting UCAS? Are there any contextual requirements like there are for Gateway courses in other universities or not? Would student finance tuition loans cover both the Foundation year and the Vet Med degree or not?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I hope to hear back soon.
Also can I ask if work experience is recommended (I have 4 weeks worth), how many places are available to progress into vet med aka is it top 10, how many places they offer a year, how to stand out and how they make their choices for interview selection
Original post by marti3x
Hello! This is an old thread but the only one I could find discussing the foundation year at Keele for entry to Vet Med. I am very confused as to how it works and how to apply for it. (I am a 2025 entry applicant) Is the application deadline for the foundation year in October and therefore I cannot set it as my 5th choice or am I misinterpreting UCAS? Are there any contextual requirements like there are for Gateway courses in other universities or not? Would student finance tuition loans cover both the Foundation year and the Vet Med degree or not?
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I hope to hear back soon.

Im in the same boat as you! Do you know what grades you think you will get and in what courses? Also do you/have you got any work experience and what are your current uni courses choices :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by srossiter
Im in the same boat as you! Do you know what grades you think you will get and in what courses? Also do you/have you got any work experience and what are your current uni courses choices :smile:

Hi! I am an IB student taking HL Chemistry, Biology, English Lit and SL Math AA, Economics, Spanish B. I haven't gotten my predicted grades yet but I am hoping for 766 in my HLs although my english grade is worrying me :/
My first choice is RVC and I am also thinking of applying to Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol but I have no idea what to put for my 5th choice as doing vet med as a second degree is not financially viable for me. That is why I was thinking of putting a foundation year as my 5th choice, otherwise I might just leave it blank.
As for work experience, I went to the RVC Pre-Vet Summer School, worked in a vet clinic and did a little bit of stable work last summer which totaled to around 100 hours, in April I worked at a dairy farm with some lambing for a week and I planned to get some more clinical experience at different clinic once a week but I am not enjoying it very much and the end of the school year is incredibly hectic so I am only going to do 3 days. I hope to go to an animal sanctuary or shelter this summer to finish up the non-clinical hours I need and I'll see what else I manage to do before September :smile:

How about you? Also feel free to PM me if you want to exchange IG @s !
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by marti3x
Hi! I am an IB student taking HL Chemistry, Biology, English Lit and SL Math AA, Economics, Spanish B. I haven't gotten my predicted grades yet but I am hoping for 766 in my HLs although my english grade is worrying me :/
My first choice is RVC and I am also thinking of applying to Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol but I have no idea what to put for my 5th choice as doing vet med as a second degree is not financially viable for me. That is why I was thinking of putting a foundation year as my 5th choice, otherwise I might just leave it blank.
As for work experience, I went to the RVC Pre-Vet Summer School, worked in a vet clinic and did a little bit of stable work last summer which totaled to around 100 hours, in April I worked at a dairy farm with some lambing for a week and I planned to get some more clinical experience at different clinic once a week but I am not enjoying it very much and the end of the school year is incredibly hectic so I am only going to do 3 days. I hope to go to an animal sanctuary or shelter this summer to finish up the non-clinical hours I need and I'll see what else I manage to do before September :smile:
How about you? Also feel free to PM me if you want to exchange IG @s !

Hi, I’m an Alevel student I would love to exchange ig to chat more about this but I cant as I new members cant pm.

Right now I think I will get 2 As and 1 B (or C in chemistry) and the other two in bio and geog. I think I will apply to a Uclan bc I don’t think I can get in else where. Any tips on other unis or routes is greatly appreciated :smile:

What does your IB translate to in Alevels grades or ucas points?
Reply 8
Original post by Srossiter
Hi, I’m an Alevel student I would love to exchange ig to chat more about this but I cant as I new members cant pm.
Right now I think I will get 2 As and 1 B (or C in chemistry) and the other two in bio and geog. I think I will apply to a Uclan bc I don’t think I can get in else where. Any tips on other unis or routes is greatly appreciated :smile:
What does your IB translate to in Alevels grades or ucas points?

My grades converted to A-level would be A* in Chemistry, A in Biology and A/B in English Lit
I would recommend you check out all the gateway courses to see if you meet their requirements because they would take you straight onto the vet med course (unlike the foundation years like Keele and I think Uclan). RVC, Bristol, Nottingham are the ones I know that have a gateway program. Another possible consideration although I have not done my research on it is doing Access to HE or BTEC. Again, I don't really know much about this route and I am not sure what universities accept it :/

my IG is @martii.tf :smile:
I checked out the gateways and I qualify for RVC but only for the lowest points so I don’t think I would get an interview but no harm trying, overall how many hours of work experience will you apply with. Also I dropped u a request on ig
Reply 10
Original post by srossiter
I checked out the gateways and I qualify for RVC but only for the lowest points so I don’t think I would get an interview but no harm trying, overall how many hours of work experience will you apply with. Also I dropped u a request on ig

I've currently got 155 hours but I need 10 more to complete the non-clinical requirement for RVC, my hope is to do 20-30 hours in an animal sanctuary or shelter (perhaps both?) and then the clinic that I went to last summer, I get along with the owner so I'll probably be going there some days just so I can get more experience to talk about in my interviews but I won't ask for another reference letter. In total I hope to apply with 175-185 hours.
sorry what is ur @ cuz I didn't receive an ig request?
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply