Brutal Bee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is an interesting question....don't come at me for it being so very bizarre. I was looking online for ways to compare law departments and I came across this advice "and don't forget to write to the Law Society". As in THE LAW SOCIETY? What? Really?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't see how it's completely radical advice.
Whether you'd actually get a response though, is a different question.
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I don't see how it's completely radical advice.
Whether you'd actually get a response though, is a different question.
Oh, that's quite interesting. So I can email them and ask for their advice on choosing to firm a university for law undergraduate course? I didn't realise this was an option...just very surprised. I suppose as a law student you have had more exposure to these sorts of things so to you it's quite common.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Law-yer)
Oh, that's quite interesting. So I can email them and ask for their advice on choosing to firm a university for law undergraduate course? I didn't realise this was an option...just very surprised. I suppose as a law student you have had more exposure to these sorts of things so to you it's quite common.
Honestly, I don't know if it is common and I'd never thought to do so myself, nor have I heard anyone that has.
Though at the same time I don't see it as a bad idea. They do offer educational support, though as I said, whether you actually get a response is a different matter. I can imagine they have more pressing matters to address, though I could be wrong.
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Honestly, I don't know if it is common and I'd never thought to do so myself, nor have I heard anyone that has.
Though at the same time I don't see it as a bad idea. They do offer educational support, though as I said, whether you actually get a response is a different matter. I can imagine they have more pressing matters to address, though I could be wrong.
Thank you for responding, Midget. As always, the best law student on this site! x

I just didn't want to email them (isn't the society quite...umm..what's the word...'prestigious' and 'important'?) and look like a fool asking them to help a 6th former when they could have more important issues to deal with.
Last edited by Brutal Bee; 1 month ago
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for responding, Midget. As always, the best law student on this site! x
Don't let the others see that
:hugs:
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stupid idea
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J Papi)
Stupid idea
No, but what do you really think, Johan :laugh:
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
No, but what do you really think, Johan :laugh:
J Papi in response: A 100-pages-long paper coming up on the topic of general incompetency and lunacy taking over the British public.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
J Papi in response: A 100-pages-long paper coming up on the topic of general incompetency and lunacy taking over the British public.
That sounds about right to me :laugh:
Evidza
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I just didn't want to email them (isn't the society quite...umm..what's the word...'prestigious' and 'important'?) and look like a fool asking them to help a 6th former when they could have more important issues to deal with.
They were sixth-formers (or whatever) once. At the very worst you'd wait a couple of weeks for a response, if you didn't get some noncommittal uninformativeform letter sooner.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
That sounds about right to me :laugh:
Since this thread has been bumped:

1. The Law Society is not a regulator. It doesn't regulate solicitors and law firms, let alone academics and their universities. It's effectively the industry lobbying body/group. https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/about-us/
  2. The Law Society does not have access to any information that isn't public already. The surveys and data it produces have nothing to do with universities.
  3. The Law Society cannot speak as to the recruitment preferences of individual law firms. It doesn't track these, it doesn't have some special insight that ordinary people don't, it doesn't benefit from any right or agreement that allows it to do so.
  4. Anyone who's ever picked up the Gazette will have quickly realised just how diverse solicitors' firms are in the UK. The idea that the representative body can somehow reduce this diverse range of recruitment criteria into a 'prestige' or 'desirability' list is beyond ludicrous.

This is an interesting question....don't come at me for it being so very bizarre. I was looking online for ways to compare law departments and I came across this advice "and don't forget to write to the Law Society". As in THE LAW SOCIETY? What? Really?
Chances are that the person was some ignorant old fart who was just trying to flex that they know that the 'Law Society' exists (while highlighting, of course, that they have no clue as to what it does). This is honest-to-god the stupidest idea I have ever heard on this cesspit of a forum, and that's saying something.
Last edited by J Papi; 1 month ago
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by J Papi)
Since this thread has been bumped:

1. The Law Society is not a regulator. It doesn't regulate solicitors and law firms, let alone academics and their universities. It's effectively the industry lobbying body/group. https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/about-us/
  2. The Law Society does not have access to any information that isn't public already. The surveys and data it produces have nothing to do with universities.
  3. The Law Society cannot speak as to the recruitment preferences of individual law firms. It doesn't track these, it doesn't have some special insight that ordinary people don't, it doesn't benefit from any right or agreement that allows it to do so.
  4. Anyone who's ever picked up the Gazette will have quickly realised just how diverse solicitors' firms are in the UK. The idea that the representative body can somehow reduce this diverse range of recruitment criteria into a 'prestige' or 'desirability' list is beyond ludicrous.

Chances are that the person was some ignorant old fart who was just trying to flex that they know that the 'Law Society' exists (while highlighting, of course, that they have no clue as to what it does). This is honest-to-god the stupidest idea I have ever heard on this cesspit of a forum, and that's saying something.
Glad I didn't bother writing an email, would have been a waste then it seems. I am just really desperate for something/someone to make my decision for me because I am scared of making the wrong choice.

Btw, sorry to bother, but do you have any data on law degrees at different universities, like grades achieved, degree weightings per year, contact hours and so on. I have been unable to find this information on some university websites.

As always, thank you for taking your time to help, really appreciate it.
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evidza)
They were sixth-formers (or whatever) once. At the very worst you'd wait a couple of weeks for a response, if you didn't get some noncommittal uninformativeform letter sooner.
Just read the user above's post and he is/was a law student so I am guessing there really is no point writing to them. Might still do it lol Just to see what they say/if they respond.

Edit: I am too lazy to do anything about my curiosity so won't be writing to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads