The Student Room Group

Marriage

Do people still have arrange marriage in the UK

Scroll to see replies

In certain religions, yes I think they do.
well in a country of over 65 million.. obviously some do
Reply 3
Original post by reinaadira
well in a country of over 65 million.. obviously some do

How is the marriage like do the couple get along with each other
Original post by Anonymous

some do, some don't. why do you ask?
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
some do, some don't. why do you ask?

Just preparing for some assignments at the uni I want get as much information as possible about arrange marriage vs political marriage vs love marriage

Sorry mate but you won't get good research for a uni project off a student room forum
Look at reputable sources and facts and figures
Everyone is diffenrely, some do some wont so
Reply 7
Original post by reinaadira
Sorry mate but you won't get good research for a uni project off a student room forum
Look at reputable sources and facts and figures
Everyone is diffenrely, some do some wont so

OK bro thanks for the advice BTW I have checked from multiple sources I just came here to discuss some things as a person on how you guys feel which marriage is really successful I just can't make a presentation without people's opinion
OK bro thanks for the advice BTW I have checked from multiple sources I just came here to discuss some things as a person on how you guys feel which marriage is really successful I just can't make a presentation without people's opinion

Well obviously the marriage out of love is most likely to be 'successful' (I assume you mean happy?). Arranged and political marriages are a complete lottery.
Reply 9
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
Well obviously the marriage out of love is most likely to be 'successful' (I assume you mean happy?). Arranged and political marriages are a complete lottery.

Yeah but love marriages also have flaws meaning it depends upon the couple do they love each other out of compassion or just for lust
Yeah but love marriages also have flaws meaning it depends upon the couple do they love each other out of compassion or just for lust

Yeah but you can choose who you want to be with. No marriage is perfect but it's a zillion times more likely to be happier than just getting with some random guy.
Reply 11

Arranged marriages make zero sense!
Original post by mgi
Arranged marriages make zero sense!

Why not? Some people struggle to find a partner. What's wrong with being introduced to someone?
Why not? Some people struggle to find a partner. What's wrong with being introduced to someone?

And if you hate them? Then you're stuck.
And if you hate them? Then you're stuck.

You do get to meet the person before you marry them and you still have to agree to the marriage. I think a lot of westerners think that arranged marriage and forced marriage are the same thing, and they are not.
You do get to meet the person before you marry them and you still have to agree to the marriage. I think a lot of westerners think that arranged marriage and forced marriage are the same thing, and they are not.

Oh ok. Are you pressured to marry them?

What's the point in them then lol. Find people on your own.

There may pressure be in some families. The people I know who've had arranged marriages were not pressured.

The point is that it can be hard to find someone from your culture, and well, it takes less effort being introduced to someone than looking for someone yourself. Plus if your family find someone, you know they approve of that person and their family, and that takes a lot of pressure off.
There may pressure be in some families. The people I know who've had arranged marriages were not pressured.

The point is that it can be hard to find someone from your culture, and well, it takes less effort being introduced to someone than looking for someone yourself. Plus if your family find someone, you know they approve of that person and their family, and that takes a lot of pressure off.

Yeah I get it. Seems a very domineering culture. What if you find someone your parents don't approve of? What if you don't want to get married? What if you want to go out and meet more people?
(edited 4 years ago)

Yeah I get it. Seems a very domineering culture. What if you find someone your parents don't approve of? What if you don't want to get married? What if you want to go out and meet more people?

In arranged marriage your elders are in charged if something goes wrong they are to blame for it not you
yep

Quick Reply

Latest