Random twitches and spasms?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So since November 2019, I've been having, what started off as, random twitches(winking one eye, tapping and low level shaking) have developed into spasms(neck jerking- to the point of where I can hear the neck crack, shoulder shivering and widening eyes).

I class these as semi-involuntary as I can temporary hold off the twitching/spasms(Normally for around 1 - 2 hours)
until I'm alone sometimes but it's worse when I prevent it.

I tend to get these when I suffer from a lack of sleep(very common atm), uncontrollable fear of various things(especially around family/social events with family), high levels of stress or if I think I'm about to be attacked(irrational fear).

This has never been an issue before and has only for the last 4 months and they are getting more and more noticeable.

What could this be? I'd rather not go to the doctors as my career plans will be destoryed. Apart of me says it will go away with time like the other twitches in the past. I also don't think this is tourettes as I can go over a week without any of these twitches and have the same stress level as when I do have the twitches.

Remaining anonymous for personal reasons
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So since November 2019, I've been having, what started off as, random twitches(winking one eye, tapping and low level shaking) have developed into spasms(neck jerking- to the point of where I can hear the neck crack, shoulder shivering and widening eyes).

I class these as semi-involuntary as I can temporary hold off the twitching/spasms(Normally for around 1 - 2 hours)
until I'm alone sometimes but it's worse when I prevent it.

I tend to get these when I suffer from a lack of sleep(very common atm), uncontrollable fear of various things(especially around family/social events with family), high levels of stress or if I think I'm about to be attacked(irrational fear).

This has never been an issue before and has only for the last 4 months and they are getting more and more noticeable.

What could this be? I'd rather not go to the doctors as my career plans will be destoryed. Apart of me says it will go away with time like the other twitches in the past. I also don't think this is tourettes as I can go over a week without any of these twitches and have the same stress level as when I do have the twitches.

Remaining anonymous for personal reasons
I literally went to a neurologist a week ago for the same symptoms: neck jerking, feeling the need to twist my hand at the wrist, constantly straightening my back and other compulsive moves. I was assured by him that these are all completely psychological.. Especially since they are not completely involuntary and do not take over my body uncontrollably.

Although I've been doing these for a number of years now, that visit was like a slap to the face for me to wake up and start taking care of my mental processes. I'm an anxious person in general and always subject myself to extremely high levels of stress. But, yeah, after that visit, I started taking it easy and the more I induced relaxation, the more the symptoms starting fading away.

Concerning the tremor and given my age (26), he diagnosed it as something called an 'Essential Tremor'. For me, this increases a lot in social situations or when I'm in a fearful state but, unlike the spasms and twitches, they do not increase when I am alone. On the contrary, I almost do not feel my hands or body shaking when I am by myself.

This, however, is my personal experience. Although I notice a lot of similarities in our cases, it should be noted that I am not a doctor by any means. In any case, I hope this helps you know that you're not the only one who's going through this and I can't see how going to a doctor can harm you in any way especially given the strict laws surrounding doctor-patient confidentiality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (134)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (140)
16.2%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
9.61%
Isolating with family (59)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.82%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (76)
8.8%
Loneliness (89)
10.3%
Financial worries (37)
4.28%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (76)
8.8%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
6.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (79)
9.14%

Watched Threads