Can you be a mature student if you already have a degree?

Watch
Kasperian
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So lets say that you already have a degree in engineering and then wanted a second degree (For whatever reason, e.g. Career change) in veterinary science

Would you be allowed on the second degree if you didn't have the grades for it as a mature student, despite having another degree?

Or would you need to go back and do either the required GCSEs or A-levels?

Just curious mostly
Last edited by Kasperian; 1 month ago
ibby68
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably, but why would you want to do that? If you didn't have the grades for that degree in the first place just spend the time getting them. For example if you didnt take A level maths but needed it for an engineering course(which you mostly alwayys need maths for), the best thing to do would be take A level maths even if it means you go unii a bit later.An alternative would be doing a foundation year. Hoppe this helps.
FV75
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kasperian)
So lets say that you already have a degree in engineering and then wanted a second degree (For whatever reason, e.g. Career change) in veterinary science

Would you be allowed on the second degree if you didn't have the grades for it as a mature student, despite having another degree?

Or would you need to go back and do either the required GCSEs or A-levels?

Just curious mostly
I am currectly doing exactly this (taking a second degree for a career change) and I needed to have the same entry requirements as everyone else.

The universities I applied to did accept my A-level qualifications from 25 years ago, though, and I got unconditional offers on this basis.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am doing law as a second degree. My requirements were an existing 2.1 degree. But I am doing graduate law entry which is 3 year course in 2 years.
I could have applied for normal 3 years and need normal 3 a levels.
Which would be tough for me as I did a levels 25 years ago and a* didn’t exist then.
But I imagine they could work out AAB then with a 2.1 was probably equivalent to that.
However law has no actual facilitation subjects. Science degrees I imagine you need maths and science and also show they are fairly up to date.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also it’s in the small print but most of them want to see evidence of recent study which I didn’t realise until I applied but luckily I’d done a gcse the year before which got me interested in the topic.
It may not be a strict requirement but probably important to see if it exists.
To be fair doing the study and exams after many years of not doing then is tough. Especially if you have other obligations like family/ aging parents etc, jobs
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you considered how you will fund your 2nd degree seeing as it is not a allied health profession related degree?
ladyasprin
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am doing this, I have an Electronic and Computer Engineering Degree and I am currently studying Occupational Therapy. OT is an allied health profession so I am funded for my first two years and will pay the fees for the last two (I am Scottish under funding rules, the last two years will be about 2k each).

I had had to do an SVQ2 for my job which counted as my recent education, I was lucky that I had the experience working in the care field as it helped to back up my application. I was advised at one point to do an access course but they said: "you have a degree so you can't do one".

You need to have the grades or have a lot of experience if your grades are just too low.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads