The Student Room Group

Should I avoid talking about The Wealth Of Nations in my Econ PS

I have started just jotting down some ideas from my PS. Should I avoid mentioning this?
Reply 1
If you can give your own insight on the book compared to what lots of others might, then there's no reason why you shouldn't. But just be aware that lots of other people will also talk about it in their statements.
Reply 2
Original post by Malinkal
If you can give your own insight on the book compared to what lots of others might, then there's no reason why you shouldn't. But just be aware that lots of other people will also talk about it in their statements.

Thanks for the advice! Do you think Capitalism and freedom and the Return Of Depression might be more suitable?
Reply 3
No problem, it's entirely up to you but I'd just pick the book that you're most genuinely interested in and can talk about the most, that's what I did. Out of curiosity, where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
I have started just jotting down some ideas from my PS. Should I avoid mentioning this?

I assume you are applying for economics. If so, ask yourself what part of economics most interests you? It is such a broad topic and it would be nice to show interest in a relevant field. It would also show a sense of understanding that you get what economics is about. Economics is a lot more than some simplistic thoughts by Adam Smith.

Let us know what part interests you and we can give you more focussed ideas that stand out.
Reply 5
Original post by It’s Jacob
I assume you are applying for economics. If so, ask yourself what part of economics most interests you? It is such a broad topic and it would be nice to show interest in a relevant field. It would also show a sense of understanding that you get what economics is about. Economics is a lot more than some simplistic thoughts by Adam Smith.

Let us know what part interests you and we can give you more focussed ideas that stand out.

I'm actually applying for Econ and Politics at LSE (I'm an international student and I'm just applying to LSE in the UK). What interests me the most is actually how political factors in itself ends up affecting economic policies. So in pure economics you could say it's government intervention that probably interests me the most. More specifically what actually ends up affecting how successful economic policies are?
Reply 6
Original post by Malinkal
No problem, it's entirely up to you but I'd just pick the book that you're most genuinely interested in and can talk about the most, that's what I did. Out of curiosity, where are you thinking of applying?

LSE for politics and econ
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
I'm actually applying for Econ and Politics at LSE (I'm an international student and I'm just applying to LSE in the UK). What interests me the most is actually how political factors in itself ends up affecting economic policies. So in pure economics you could say it's government intervention that probably interests me the most. More specifically what actually ends up affecting how successful economic policies are?

I would highly recommend talking about holistic economics (the need to consider everything in economic decision making and analysis). It fits in nicely with the political situation of a country and the affect that has. I suggest looking at international development and talking about books like “Why the West got Rich and the East did Not.” It tells a fascinating tale and is easy to critique. This also afford the opportunity to talk about development in the U.K. using some of the same principles. Is there a geographic problem in Britain affecting economic growth? Does economic development matter seeing as absolute poverty does not exist in Britain?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending