How to write introductions for an A Level Lang/Lit essay

Watch
Wheezy___
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm really struggling to find any help online for lang/lit because of all I can seem to find is stuff for literature OR language, not the combined course.

What I'm specifically looking for help with is introductions for the essay on a play (mine's The History Boys if that helps at all). I just don't know what to put in it

Thanks in advance x
1Winnie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Wheezy___)
I'm really struggling to find any help online for lang/lit because of all I can seem to find is stuff for literature OR language, not the combined course.

What I'm specifically looking for help with is introductions for the essay on a play (mine's The History Boys if that helps at all). I just don't know what to put in it

Thanks in advance x
Hi,

The History Boys is great. Don't over-complicate the introduction - answer the questions directly e.g. if you were to tell someone briefly what your thoughts were and then use the remainder of the essay to explain your reasons/evidence in detail. It shouldn't have quotes - just a clear outline (your argument or position on the question).
For example, if the question is linked to how Bennett presents History maybe something along the lines:
1. Bennett uses History as an academic subject but also as personal history
2. History is a dramatic technique to show past and present (flashback structure of the play)
3. History may not be truth but how it's manipulated to project a point of view ( use of subjunctive and Irwin contrasts of Henry VIII and Stalin etc and dullness of historical fact)
4. Maybe how Bennett forces the audience to review perspective of historical truth

Then use the essay to find specific examples with quotes. Breakdown the quotes to individual words or phrases, identify techniques, explain implied and surface meaning, impact on audience and place into context (of the play and today).

Hope this helps.
Chidgey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi
I can help you out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.61%
I'm not sure (52)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.49%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (549)
48.33%

Watched Threads