Psychology at York

Watch this thread
katykatyw
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi anyone who does psychology at Uni of York what are your contact hours and how much reading/ hmwk do u typically get per week, considering switching courses
thanks
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
3rd year here! In your first and second year, your contact hours will be a minimum of 11 hours broken down into:

Lectures
Research Methods - 2 hours
Brain & Behaviour - 2 hours
Social, Personality & Abnormal - 2 hours
Development & Language - 2 hours
Perception & Cognition - 2 hours

Practicals
Research Methods - 1 hour

You'll also have 1 hour of tutorials for each of the 5 modules so that's another 5 hours every 4 week block. So your timetable will be anywhere from 11-16 hours typically depending on if your tutorials are spread out or in the same week.

In terms of reading, you have usually one chapter of a textbook per lecture which come to about 30ish pages (not actually that much once you get used to it) and for each tutorial, they will ask you to read a paper as preparation which is typically about 8-10 pages. Please do the reading before the tutorial as it gets very frustrating when people don't, as all the tutorial is spent discussing the paper so you'll find it hard otherwise!

For assignments, you get one essay and one practical report per module (except RM) so 8 assignments over the year plus two exams in each module (one in Jan, one in May) so you have stuff to be doing throughout the year.
Darelz
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by katykatyw)
Hi anyone who does psychology at Uni of York what are your contact hours and how much reading/ hmwk do u typically get per week, considering switching courses
thanks
Hello, I'm a 3rd year student on the psychology BSc with integrated Msc course.

Years 1+2
We had ~14 contact hours a week: a 2-hour lecture for each of the 5 modules, 1 hour research method session, 1 hour tutorial, and often some other one-off compulsory session (eg Careers session, practicals). Reading could vary significantly between modules, but I would recommend dedicating about 1-2 hours a week to the reading for each lecture/tutorial. There are regular non-timed assessments, a total of 4 reports and 4 essays over the year. In the summer term you also have to perform 2 group projects, which involve running and presenting an experiment.

Year 3
I currently have ~5 contact hours a week: a 2 hour seminar for my chosen module, a 2 hour session for my chosen Msci pathway, and the occasional other compulsory session. Reading/homework is of course longer to make up for it, around 6-7 hours of work associated with each seminar/session. I also have some other compulsory going on each term: last term it was my literature survey and an essay, this term it's a group project, next term it will starting my final research project. Note that my 3rd year is structured differently to the pure Bsc 3rd year.

If you have any other questions I am happy to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (53)
26.77%
As I expected (65)
32.83%
Harder (72)
36.36%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.04%

Watched Threads