The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Computer Science at Southampton University

I've got all my offers back from KCL, Durham, Southampton, Royal Holloway and Loughborough. Having been to all their open days Southampton impressed me the most, loads of amazing facilities and it feels like you'd have a great experience there. However, it is A*AA and I'm wondering how this is justified, I know to an employer Durham University is much more prestigious and probably more highly regarded.

I've got this voice telling me to go to a university where I'll become more employable but I know I liked Southampton the most, I almost, want some peace of mind that the work I put into A*AA is going to pay off in the future and that I wont feel like I could've done better come graduation
Original post by shawmc2002
I've got all my offers back from KCL, Durham, Southampton, Royal Holloway and Loughborough. Having been to all their open days Southampton impressed me the most, loads of amazing facilities and it feels like you'd have a great experience there. However, it is A*AA and I'm wondering how this is justified, I know to an employer Durham University is much more prestigious and probably more highly regarded.

I've got this voice telling me to go to a university where I'll become more employable but I know I liked Southampton the most, I almost, want some peace of mind that the work I put into A*AA is going to pay off in the future and that I wont feel like I could've done better come graduation

Can i ask when you were accepted to southampton? i have has really positive responses from all my other choices but not yet from southampton.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I also really like Southampton!
I got offers form Royal Holloway, Exeter, Bath, KCL and Southampton but decided to just put Southampton as my firm because I liked it so much, especially after the applicant day. I’d suggest that you accept it, if you really liked it chances are you’ll do great there and they also have a really good department so i don’t think you’ll have to worry too much about how employable you are.
I’ve accepted it as my firm and KCL as my insurance.
Hope you’re happy with whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Missrivers93
Can i ask when you were accepted to southampton? i have has really positive responses from all my other choices but not yet from southampton.

Just hopping in here, but I didn’t hear from them until about 2 weeks after I went to the applicant visit day for an informal interview :smile:
For going to work in the computing sector, "brand name" of your university means essentially nothing compared to having good work experience and/or a good portfolio of self-directed projects which can form the basis of a portfolio on github or similar. Even aside from that, for CS specifically Southampton is quite prestigious in academic circles (for whatever it's worth). I'm not really aware of Durham's CS programme being particularly notable, other than it being offered by Durham which has some other notable departments.

Ultimately your employability will depend on you, not which university you go to, however I'm very skeptical of your belief that Durham CS is more employable than Southampton CS even setting that aside. That sounds more like league table obsession/Oxbridge wistful thinking of wanting to go to a collegiate univerisity, than anything grounded in reality. I would suggest you examine your reasoning for coming to that conclusion carefully, and evaluate what evidence, if any, you have to support it.

At the end of the day, you should go to the university you think you can be most productive at and think you will get the best degree classification from, and ensure you proactively seek out work experience opportunities and work on (and document) projects outside of your studies wherever possible. CS generally has quite poor employment prospects, to the point that the government ordered an inquiry (I think actually two, but I only have read the Shadbolt inquiry) into the poor prospects of these grads.
Southampton has an AMAZING computer Science department, it's honestly so worth choosing to go here. I do maths currently and know some people who do computer science and it's actually insane how much bigger their budget is than any other department, so it's defo worth getting the grades. Couple things I've heard/ realised:
-if you did CS A-level first year will be a bit boring, but then second year really ramps up, so be prepared for the difference between these (I think it's the same for any unis that don't require CS A-level)
-the gender difference is noticeable, think someone I know said it was about 30:70 girls:boys so idk, just warning you about that
-if you've had mental health issues in the past, UoS is famously not very good at dealing with these, but the systems are there if you need them, you just have to search them out yourself, but they're totally worth it once you've taken that step.
-archers road halls are terrible, just don't

hope this helps!!
Hey, I've made a Discord server for Southampton CS offer holders. Here's the invite link: https://discord.gg/Ejm73fg
Original post by shawmc2002

which uni did you end up going to?