The Student Room Group

Hours of Work at University

How many hours a week would you say you do of studying? I'm running at like 30-35 hours outside of 22 hours a week of lectures and feel like I'm doing a lot, maybe too much, but that's how long it requires for me to feel like I understand what is going on tbh. Just wondering if this is normal since it's far more than I have ever done before
Reply 1
I basically did the same amount of work as a full time job but over 4 days a week. Nothing of a weekend, and if it could be helped, nothing of a Friday
Original post by Anonymous
How many hours a week would you say you do of studying? I'm running at like 30-35 hours outside of 22 hours a week of lectures and feel like I'm doing a lot, maybe too much, but that's how long it requires for me to feel like I understand what is going on tbh. Just wondering if this is normal since it's far more than I have ever done before

I did maybe 1.5 to 2 hours of independent study for every hour of lectures I had. I think it's also important to ensure that you have an adequate work/life balance - don't study so much that that's all you do, which can negatively impact your mental and physical health, and cause burn out.
I think I study around 22-25 hours a week, on top of my 9 hours of lectures and seminars. This is probably a lot of outside studying, but most of my courses require you to read 70-80 pages a week, and well, I'm a slow reader. And I obviously put in extra hours when I have essays to write during term time, as the above is only for keeping up with the weekly content... so I'm probably closer to like 30 hours a week + 9 hours of seminars.

It definitely feels like a bit too much, as I work 10 hours a week and volunteer another 7 or 8, but I really want to get into a super competitive masters, and I'm not clever enough to effortlessly pull a first, lol.
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses - interesting to see what other people did/are doing since I feel like it is having some adverse effects on my mental state, even if I really like my course. I might try and cut it down slightly
About 10 hours a week at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending