Student1019473
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,

I am wanting to go to uni to do a law degree in order to become a solicitor, however my gcse grades wern’t high enough to make my predicted a level grades A’s.

However I will need A’s to get into uni. And since uni’s go off of predicted grades, won’t I be declined from most courses?

Therefore, would I need to take a gap year after A levels, in order to then submit my actual A level results a year later, which would be roughly AAB, then I would be accepted.

Thank you.
Rover5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
In your situation yes you would be better to apply with grades in hand. If you do wantbto go on to qualify as a solicitor law firms do look at the calibre of uni you went to so this would be the best way of getting into one of the ones they prefer to recruit from.
Rover5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
In your situation yes you would be better to apply with grades in hand. If you do want to go on to qualify as a solicitor law firms do look at the calibre of uni you went to so this would be the best way of getting into one of the ones they prefer to recruit from. see this from Chambers Guide

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019
Rover5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
By the way your 6th Form should make predictions based on.the level you are currently working at and end of yr 12 exams etc rather than just gcses grades.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Having low GCSE grades doesnt mean you wont get into RG unis. Most dont really take much notice of them. Predicted grades are based on A level performance throughout your course. Evidence shows only 9% exceed their predicted grades whilst 75% dont reach them.

To get into most RG universities you will need at least 5 sometimes 7 GCSE grades including English Language and Maths at grade 4 or 5. In some universities they will require a grade 6 or B. If you dont meet this requirement you will probably need to resit especially if you dont meet the English requirement.

Your comment about meeting As isnt necessarily true. It is for the top RG universities but perhaps not lower down. What grades are you currently predicted and what grades do you think you will achieve. If your predictions are low it isnt very likely you will achieve better as the figures above show.

Universities are known to take lower grades than AAA but the likes of UCL etc will require those grades. If you are predicted lower grades like say BCC it is highly unlikely you will get into that type of university as people dont tend to improve their grades that much.

Some RG universities make lower grades because of the school you attended and it might be worth checking out the likes of Bristol, Exeter and Southampton who do this. Manchester and Leeds offer lower grades if you live in an area which has a history of very few people going onto university.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post87378902
Student1019473
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Thank you, that’s very helpful!

However, since I haven’t yet taken my GCSE’s I don’t know my predicted a levels yet.

However wanting to do law, I would need at least ABB at absolute minimum.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Student1019473)
Thank you, that’s very helpful!

However, since I haven’t yet taken my GCSE’s I don’t know my predicted a levels yet.

However wanting to do law, I would need at least ABB at absolute minimum.
If you havent yet taken your gcse's you are running before you can walk. Concentrate on getting the best grades you can in GCSE particularly
in English Language and Maths then concentrate on taking 3 subjects at A level you can get good grades then think about universities when you get your predictions at the end of year 12 or beginning of year 13.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (12)
57.14%
No (8)
38.1%
I don't know (1)
4.76%

Watched Threads