The Student Room Group

Mature student applying to university

Hello, I did my A-Levels two years ago in English Lit, Psychology and Geography getting ABC.

I have decided to go Uni, but preferably Cardiff to do English Lit and Philosophy but they are asking for ABB-BBB.

I've seen the discussions before about if ABC is really equivalent to BBB, and no one seems to have a decisive answer. My question would be if I had any chance of an offer from Cardiff, being as my A is in English and I would like to do an English Degree.

I work as a bartender at a theater, which I guess gives me Literature brownie points, but I wouldn't say my job would help reconcile that damn C in geography.

Any advice or help would be well appreciated. I am not dead set on only going Cardiff, just wondering if I should even bother putting it down as an option.

Peace and Love
i think the best way would be to contact the admissions people and find out as some universities see ABC/BBB as equivalent whilst others don’t
Original post by janal rajput
Hello, I did my A-Levels two years ago in English Lit, Psychology and Geography getting ABC.

I have decided to go Uni, but preferably Cardiff to do English Lit and Philosophy but they are asking for ABB-BBB.

I've seen the discussions before about if ABC is really equivalent to BBB, and no one seems to have a decisive answer. My question would be if I had any chance of an offer from Cardiff, being as my A is in English and I would like to do an English Degree.

I work as a bartender at a theater, which I guess gives me Literature brownie points, but I wouldn't say my job would help reconcile that damn C in geography.

Any advice or help would be well appreciated. I am not dead set on only going Cardiff, just wondering if I should even bother putting it down as an option.

Peace and Love

Just get on the phone to Cardiff and ask if they’re still accepting applications for your course and whether it is worth you applying with your grades finalised.

Peace and Love

The ABC/BBB thing is a bit of a red herring in your case - you probably do have a good chance at Cardiff (if they still have spaces this year) because you have good achieved grades, an A in English plus you are a bit older which unis like. Definitely worth a shot at Cardiff but agree that you should contact Admissions first just to check they still have vacancies for this year.
Reply 4

Peace and Love

University's typically make decisions based on the UCAS tariff requirements, in which case your ABC would be equivalent to the BBB they are looking for.
Therefore it is highly likely that they will accept your application.
Saying this, it is worth consulting with the English department via email or telephone and confirming this beforehand.
Original post by Mo,
University's typically make decisions based on the UCAS tariff requirements, in which case your ABC would be equivalent to the BBB they are looking for.
Therefore it is highly likely that they will accept your application.
Saying this, it is worth consulting with the English department via email or telephone and confirming this beforehand.

Most universities dont make offers on ucas tariffs rate only the ones with lower entry requirement. OP Cardiff will probably accept you. They are fairly lenient with grades but only the university can confirm that.

Quick Reply

Latest