The Student Room Group

Should I leave my MPharm early with a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies?

Hello guys, I'm a 3rd year pharmacy student. The MPharm is a really difficult degree and 4 years long + a 5th pre-reg placement year before I can even be a pharmacist.

And here's the thing, I don't want to be a pharmacist. I've worked in a community pharmacy and I've done placements at hospitals and I just don't see myself even being able to finish the placement year (52 weeks of working at a pharmacy/ hospital full time AND studying for difficult exams at the end).

If I complete 3 years of the MPharm course, I get to graduate with a BSc degree in Pharmaceutical Studies. I don't think you can study this degree separately, and I don't think it's equivalent to a BSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences.

I can't find much information on the internet about it, other than people saying it looks bad if you leave your degree early. Not really sure what to do. I've emailed my personal tutor but in the meantime any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply 1
bump?
The most important factor you mentioned is that you do not want to be a pharmacist. Being honest with ourselves and taking action is actually a very difficult thing to do in many cases. Remember that it is not just about getting through the degree+placement+pre-reg exam. Once you go through all that, you will still need do work as a pharmacist. In this difficult times facing pharmacy, you need to make sure you're set on becoming a pharmacist otherwise you will risk becoming quite miserable. So keep this in mind. However, what would you like to see yourself doing? Lets assume you get this BSc in Pharmaceutical science, what will you do with it? Is there any other course you would rather do? The issue here is, you have already done 3 years, so getting funding for another course may be difficult. What may be the best advise for you, is bear the difficulty get the degree and then decide further. If you're going to drop out, decide on your next steps first.
Reply 3
I was in the same position as you when I was in your year. Everyone convinced me I should just keeping going as I was so far ahead and when I graduated, the next step was pre reg as that too was only "one year" (a very long and miserable year if you have no desire for it). Pre reg and the GPhC exam require all your time and energy and if your heart isn't in it, it can take a huge toll on your mental health. You need to reflect on what you want to gain from your life as you are the one that will have to get yourself up daily for work and study in the evenings after all, no-one else- just you.

Some options that may be available at your stage:
-Speak to the uni careers advisors, you may have a chance to switch degrees? I recall some students doing this.
-Graduate with a BSc and choose a masters of your own liking to change your pathway- you can get a PG loan for this.
MPharm is an integrated masters so no PG masters loan so only next academic step is PhD (unless you can self fund)

It is so important to be in alignment with what you do, and I can assure you if you already know you don't want to be a pharmacist now, especially with your experience, that view is not likely to shift later on. This is all subjective advice I wish someone else had given me. Don't worry about it "looking bad"- that is not true, many people decide that they don't enjoy their degree and take steps to change it.

All the best, I hope you find some joy in your next steps!
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Optimist
The most important factor you mentioned is that you do not want to be a pharmacist. Being honest with ourselves and taking action is actually a very difficult thing to do in many cases. Remember that it is not just about getting through the degree+placement+pre-reg exam. Once you go through all that, you will still need do work as a pharmacist. In this difficult times facing pharmacy, you need to make sure you're set on becoming a pharmacist otherwise you will risk becoming quite miserable. So keep this in mind. However, what would you like to see yourself doing? Lets assume you get this BSc in Pharmaceutical science, what will you do with it? Is there any other course you would rather do? The issue here is, you have already done 3 years, so getting funding for another course may be difficult. What may be the best advise for you, is bear the difficulty get the degree and then decide further. If you're going to drop out, decide on your next steps first.

I actually don't know what I want to do because this is all I've ever known. As a kid my parents only ever pushed my towards academic subjects (science and maths) with the hopes of me becoming a doctor/ pharmacist and now that's what I'm doing and I'm so miserable. Every exam season (like now) I have mental breakdowns/ panic attacks like every few days and I'm literally balding from the stress. The only reason I haven't dropped out yet is because I don't want to move back home.

Since making this post I've spoken to my tutor and careers service and they've just sent me some links to things I could do like other masters, science related and unrelated jobs. Before I went to uni I was interested in ICT (and I got A*s in it at GCSE) and Computer Science (got a B at A level with As in some exams) but now I feel like it's too late for me to learn how to code and I've forgotten everything from A levels as it was over 4 years ago. I was also interested in law but I'm not great at essay writing and my GCSE English and History grades were Bs and Cs

I can see myself in an office working a desk job. I've also considered teaching for a year as a possibility as it is funded and pays well, although it seems stressful and I don't see myself as a teacher for the rest of my life either but I'd rather that than being a pharmacist. I'm just very confused right now. The careers service has also said that the best option is to complete the 4th year as it will open more doors but I don't know if I can take another year of this course!!
Reply 5
Original post by lsi4
I was in the same position as you when I was in your year. Everyone convinced me I should just keeping going as I was so far ahead and when I graduated, the next step was pre reg as that too was only "one year" (a very long and miserable year if you have no desire for it). Pre reg and the GPhC exam require all your time and energy and if your heart isn't in it, it can take a huge toll on your mental health. You need to reflect on what you want to gain from your life as you are the one that will have to get yourself up daily for work and study in the evenings after all, no-one else- just you.

Some options that may be available at your stage:
-Speak to the uni careers advisors, you may have a chance to switch degrees? I recall some students doing this.
-Graduate with a BSc and choose a masters of your own liking to change your pathway- you can get a PG loan for this.
MPharm is an integrated masters so no PG masters loan so only next academic step is PhD (unless you can self fund)

It is so important to be in alignment with what you do, and I can assure you if you already know you don't want to be a pharmacist now, especially with your experience, that view is not likely to shift later on. This is all subjective advice I wish someone else had given me. Don't worry about it "looking bad"- that is not true, many people decide that they don't enjoy their degree and take steps to change it.

All the best, I hope you find some joy in your next steps!

Did you finish the pre-reg year? Do you regret continuing? What are you doing now? If you don't mind me asking, sorry for so many questions I'm just so lost and confused atm!!

I've spoken to careers, they said the best thing to do is finish the 4th year or do a different masters (but applications are soon and idk what I would do it in/ if I even want to do a masters right now, and it's even harder to navigate due to the current situation). Idk if I even have another year of this course in me!! It has caused me so much distress over the past 4 years, I've even had to retake 2nd year twice and that was hell I've never cried so much and I'm literally balding!! But idk what I would do otherwise :frown:

Thank you so much for replying :smile:
Original post by z33
I actually don't know what I want to do because this is all I've ever known. As a kid my parents only ever pushed my towards academic subjects (science and maths) with the hopes of me becoming a doctor/ pharmacist and now that's what I'm doing and I'm so miserable. Every exam season (like now) I have mental breakdowns/ panic attacks like every few days and I'm literally balding from the stress. The only reason I haven't dropped out yet is because I don't want to move back home.

Since making this post I've spoken to my tutor and careers service and they've just sent me some links to things I could do like other masters, science related and unrelated jobs. Before I went to uni I was interested in ICT (and I got A*s in it at GCSE) and Computer Science (got a B at A level with As in some exams) but now I feel like it's too late for me to learn how to code and I've forgotten everything from A levels as it was over 4 years ago. I was also interested in law but I'm not great at essay writing and my GCSE English and History grades were Bs and Cs

I can see myself in an office working a desk job. I've also considered teaching for a year as a possibility as it is funded and pays well, although it seems stressful and I don't see myself as a teacher for the rest of my life either but I'd rather that than being a pharmacist. I'm just very confused right now. The careers service has also said that the best option is to complete the 4th year as it will open more doors but I don't know if I can take another year of this course!!

Bless you. Remember that your health is the most important thing here and you need to get that under control. I am a little concerned that you're under this amount of pressure. Here is what I think is your best option (best of the worse type situation). Continue with the course. However, make sure you truly put this next advise into practise: Keep your future positive and create a goal that makes you excited for the future. This will help you through these hard times. The good news is that your 4th year is mostly focused on your project. You will still have exams, but that project is the big one. Most people actually really enjoy the masters project. Why? because it is teaching you a skill, it's not just about "pharmacy". When it comes to the pre-reg, that is also good because you're finally out of university and you only have one more exam on your mind. The pre-reg exam can be very easy if you prepare for it in a smart way. I found the pre-reg exam far easier than university exams. Now also let me tell you this, I know how you feel. Around the same year you're in, I also realised I did not want to be a pharmacist long term. I realised my main desire was to become rich but at that time, I had no idea how I would achieve this. However, what mattered is that I then knew what my goal was i.e getting rich and that goal kept me excited. I got through 3rd, 4th and pre-reg year very focused. Why? Because despite any difficulty I was faced with, I had a much bigger goal I was working towards. Now I am a pharmacist and I more sure about my plan. I am interested in becoming an entrepreneur. Within the next year or so, I will have a business of my own. This will happen because I set my self a goal and I will work towards it. The road you walk on will not all be smooth, but its the destination that mostly matters. You need to do the same. Realise that you will not be in this Mpharm course ad infinitum. It is nothing but a stepping stone. An Mpharm degree is very good to have to your name. Many people end up doing second degrees. But the most important thing for you right now is to focus your gaze and develop a positive a perspective. Once you're a pharmacist, you can work part time as a locum to earn cash. That leaves you plenty of time to think about your next steps.
Reply 7
I know one guy who finished the degree, and didn't do pre-reg and went into computing/coding. You mentioned this.
You could do PGCE and become a science teacher I think.

As mentioned YOU have got to do the final year and the pre-reg and the exam. Do you think you can do either of those or both or none?

Before you leave, make sure you know what you are going to do next and make sure it is possible. If you don't intend to ever practice as a phamacist, then try and complete the 4 yr degree. If you feel you can't do this, and the effect on your health and also re-sitting a year would make me use this lockdown time to email the hell out of every person and institution you can find regarding teaching and also ICT so I could leave and also research all day, every day all the options you mention.
Ask the Uni if they have any info on other students who left at this point and what they did with the PharmStud. degree.

Basically if your hair is dropping out and you are having panic attacks, then personally I would look at getting out, but also take into account the good advice above, especially Mr.Opt. Also remember, you can only sit the pre-reg exam 3 times, then that's it. You won't be a pharmacist. Think of this too as many find pre-reg hard to do the physical work all day, then study all night.
Good luck.
(edited 3 years ago)
Get qualified as a pharmacist first. When you start earning £65,000/year minimum, you will slowly start enjoying one of the best paying healthcare careers. If you still don't like it after being a pharmacist for a few years, you can choose to go back to uni to study something else whilst earning good money as a locum pharmacist.
Reply 9
Don't forget to mention you only earn this from a ghetto in the North East. Stop telling all Pharmacy students they will earn this huge amount when they won't in the majority areas of the UK.
It is not one of the best paid healthcare jobs.

Start in a major city like Birmingham or London and you will start on between 25 to 30 k. Less than the deputy manager at your local Lidl !

And you will not earn good rates as a locum. The average is 20/22£ an hr.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Mr Optimist
Bless you. Remember that your health is the most important thing here and you need to get that under control. I am a little concerned that you're under this amount of pressure. Here is what I think is your best option (best of the worse type situation). Continue with the course. However, make sure you truly put this next advise into practise: Keep your future positive and create a goal that makes you excited for the future. This will help you through these hard times. The good news is that your 4th year is mostly focused on your project. You will still have exams, but that project is the big one. Most people actually really enjoy the masters project. Why? because it is teaching you a skill, it's not just about "pharmacy". When it comes to the pre-reg, that is also good because you're finally out of university and you only have one more exam on your mind. The pre-reg exam can be very easy if you prepare for it in a smart way. I found the pre-reg exam far easier than university exams. Now also let me tell you this, I know how you feel. Around the same year you're in, I also realised I did not want to be a pharmacist long term. I realised my main desire was to become rich but at that time, I had no idea how I would achieve this. However, what mattered is that I then knew what my goal was i.e getting rich and that goal kept me excited. I got through 3rd, 4th and pre-reg year very focused. Why? Because despite any difficulty I was faced with, I had a much bigger goal I was working towards. Now I am a pharmacist and I more sure about my plan. I am interested in becoming an entrepreneur. Within the next year or so, I will have a business of my own. This will happen because I set my self a goal and I will work towards it. The road you walk on will not all be smooth, but its the destination that mostly matters. You need to do the same. Realise that you will not be in this Mpharm course ad infinitum. It is nothing but a stepping stone. An Mpharm degree is very good to have to your name. Many people end up doing second degrees. But the most important thing for you right now is to focus your gaze and develop a positive a perspective. Once you're a pharmacist, you can work part time as a locum to earn cash. That leaves you plenty of time to think about your next steps.

Hello! I wanted to say that i loved reading what you had to say and your words have shown me so much clarity. I am currently also in the same boat and feeling quite lost. I was hoping if I can message you to talk to you about how things were going and possibly just talk to someone who also felt the same as me, as you will understand the situation very well. :smile:

Quick Reply