The Student Room Group

Why do upper class get into oxbridge/russel group more?

I know they have attended more privileged schools and have the money for tutors and have backgrounds which support education. And with aristos they have some places saved for them at Oxbridge apparently. But still, does that account for why so many of them go to top universities and find careers in academic areas like science research, writing, classical music. Do you think if you went to a council housing site and gave all the babies the same education and chances as many would grow up to be so academically gifted?

So what's the reason, it must be genetic and historical? Did the gifted people in the past push themselves into the aristocracy somehow by showing their abilities and being cunning?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I know they have attended more privileged schools and have the money for tutors and have backgrounds which support education. And with aristos they have some places saved for them at Oxbridge apparently. But still, does that account for why so many of them go to top universities and find careers in academic areas like science research, writing, classical music. Do you think if you went to a council housing site and gave all the babies the same education and chances as many would grow up to be so academically gifted?

So what's the reason, it must be genetic and historical? Did the gifted people in the past push themselves into the aristocracy somehow by showing their abilities and being cunning?

The wealthier have access to tutoring and coaching. Also it is expected that they will go there. I think that Oxbridge especially can be a bit intimidating for the working class
they are brainier ?

:dontknow:
Reply 3
It is quite common for working class people to struggle to fit in with the social norms. For example the banter and typical foods eaten tend to be very different (as you'd expect). I spent a week with upperclass people. They were gobsmacked that I had never had croquettes before, I was gobsmacked that they had never heard of a Toby Carvery before.

Your title is misleading. The 'upper classes' are a very very small proportion of the population, comprising of ancient families with titles. I think you're more referring to the 'upper-middle' classes. Think BoJo, David Cameron etc.

Does this terminology matter? Yes, it does. People can still to some extent move into the upper-middle classes by their own endeavours (though less so nowadays, shockingly). You can't 'move' into the upper class, except by marriage.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
they are brainier ?

:dontknow:

So you're happy to admit that the upper class are genetically more intelligent than the lower classes? That's quite controversial to say. Nobody wants to admit that, they have every excuse under the sun to not say that.
nothing to do with class

they have the grades, extra curricular + tick the other boxes (high ucat/bmat etc)
Original post by antibody123
nothing to do with class

they have the grades, extra curricular + tick the other boxes (high ucat/bmat etc)

And you think class does not help that?

This isnt exactly true. Unis are offering more contextual offers, so in a sense, its more difficult than ever for "the upper class" to gain admissions. However, middle classes are more likely to struggle, since they dont really fit into either cateory
And you think class does not help that?

depends on the kid if they want to achieve highly and secure a place in a good university or not

wouldnt say class, maybe their school might push people to apply to oxbridge
So you're happy to admit that the upper class are genetically more intelligent than the lower classes? That's quite controversial to say. Nobody wants to admit that, they have every excuse under the sun to not say that.

controversy is my middle name.

The Controversy Bear™
Original post by Reality Check
Your title is misleading. The 'upper classes' are a very very small proportion of the population, comprising of ancient families with titles. I think you're more referring to the 'upper-middle' classes. Think BoJo, David Cameron etc.

Does this terminology matter? Yes, it does. People can still to some extent move into the upper-middle classes by their own endeavours (though less so nowadays, shockingly). You can't 'move' into the upper class, except by marriage.

I guess that answers the question partly then, the families of the upper-middle class have had the abilities to move upwards in society and their children have inheritied this inteliigence and talent. But I do see the relatives viscounts, marquies, dukes who do well in top careers and got to oxbridge as well.
I guess that answers the question partly then, the families of the upper-middle class have had the abilities to move upwards in society and their children have inheritied this inteliigence and talent. But I do see the relatives viscounts, marquies, dukes who do well in top careers and got to oxbridge as well.

You must move in very elevated circles then. I can't recall any dukes or marquesses during my time at Cambridge! Maybe that's because I didn't go to Trinity :smile:

Because they have more access to better teachers, better schools, better resources, better knowledge of oxbridge etc.

But also there is definitely a cultural difference. Many bright working class people don't consider going to Oxbridge because they think they won't fit in at all cuz it's full of posh people
(edited 4 years ago)

Perhaps it's because they are taught to spell "Russell" at Eton, Harrow etc???

PS Why, oh why are you anonymous???
Original post by antibody123
nothing to do with class

Why do they have these grades are they genetically more intelligent then?
Why do they have these grades are they genetically more intelligent then?

are you a troll?

alevels are like 90% hard work and 50% brightness

if you want to achieve highly and go to prestigious places the kid will
take ibz mo as an example
Reply 17

Because they have more resources available to them, more opportunities presented to them and have no barriers to purchasing anything that can aid their academia life. The list goes on but life is unfair and, as much as people are less willing to admit, we are born on different ends of the stick. Not saying it's impossible because I am aiming for the top but it sure is easier* (edit) getting into Oxbridge when you're among the >=middle class! Being working class and having an annual household income nearing 4 figures definitely puts you at a disadvantage from the start...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by squeakysquirrel
The wealthier have access to tutoring and coaching. Also it is expected that they will go there. I think that Oxbridge especially can be a bit intimidating for the working class

I agree with everything you've said but would if you wandered onto a sink estate would you really see the potential for many future engineers, mathemeticians, literature professors, history teachers? There could be a few but not many.
Original post by ageshallnot
Perhaps it's because they are taught to spell "Russell" at Eton, Harrow etc???

PS Why, oh why are you anonymous???

Because it's very controversial to say people at the lower echelons of society are less intelligent. It puts the blame on them rather than on the unfair structure of society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending