The Student Room Group

Failing my GCSES...

Basically I’ve just managed to get through years 7-10 by copying others work and not caring what I got marks wise in exams and now it’s nearly the end of February, my GCSE’s are in about 2 months time and i don’t know half the curriculum for any of my subjects . I’ve also taken months off of school and been threatened with fines . Is it possible to get 6/7 or to even pass if I started now?
What's your current grade from mocks like?
If you're serious and actually put the effort in then it's doable. Prioritise learning core themes and areas you think you could learn in time. I hate revision timetables personally but if you can make one (don't forget to include downtime too) and actually stick to it then that will help.
Take advantage of any support teachers offer or any revision sessions available. Make notes or flashcards, watch YouTube tutorials, pretend to teach it to your dog.... However you learn best. Most importantly, past papers and just straight up learn the markscheme! GCSE has the advantage of you don't necessarily need to even know the content that well, as long as you know the Markscheme and what answers they want.
Original post by PetitePanda
What's your current grade from mocks like?

I’m taking triple science and have been getting 3’s in all of them , a 3 in maths higher ( I tried a foundation but I just got the same) , 4’s in English and the only decent grade I’ve gotten is a 6 in history because I really like the subject . Also I’m struggling to keep up with art and media coursework , therefore also failing those too
Original post by boods8897
If you're serious and actually put the effort in then it's doable. Prioritise learning core themes and areas you think you could learn in time. I hate revision timetables personally but if you can make one (don't forget to include downtime too) and actually stick to it then that will help.
Take advantage of any support teachers offer or any revision sessions available. Make notes or flashcards, watch YouTube tutorials, pretend to teach it to your dog.... However you learn best. Most importantly, past papers and just straight up learn the markscheme! GCSE has the advantage of you don't necessarily need to even know the content that well, as long as you know the Markscheme and what answers they want.

Thank you , I’ve never revised using past papers before so I’ll try those and then see my teachers for extra help if I need it :smile:
Original post by Sophiastunell
I’m taking triple science and have been getting 3’s in all of them , a 3 in maths higher ( I tried a foundation but I just got the same) , 4’s in English and the only decent grade I’ve gotten is a 6 in history because I really like the subject . Also I’m struggling to keep up with art and media coursework , therefore also failing those too

A 5/ 6 is a reasonable aim while History you might be able to make it into a 7. I think you should priotise getting that maths grade up to a pass. What do you wanna do in the future?
Reply 6
Tbh mate GCSE's dont matter (apart from english and math) I failed all my GCSE's and I just got 2 unconditional offers from uni
Original post by Bangert
Tbh mate GCSE's dont matter (apart from english and math) I failed all my GCSE's and I just got 2 unconditional offers from uni

They do. Even if you're not going to a selective uni, you still need 5 9-4 GCSEs
Reply 8
They want that but if your A level/ college grades are good they will say as long as you have english and maths you can join well thats my experiences
Original post by Sophiastunell
Basically I’ve just managed to get through years 7-10 by copying others work and not caring what I got marks wise in exams and now it’s nearly the end of February, my GCSE’s are in about 2 months time and i don’t know half the curriculum for any of my subjects . I’ve also taken months off of school and been threatened with fines . Is it possible to get 6/7 or to even pass if I started now?

Who are you being threatened with fines from??????????

The school is threatening the student, not the guardians, with fines now???????
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply