Am I racist if I only fancy white people?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Toscana
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, you aren’t
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No not really, it’s personal preference. This is a weird example but you may like broccoli more than other veg, it’s just a preference I guess. Personally I’m more attracted to people from my race as well
Alrighty...

There are people who may prefer broccoli over something like cabbage... but they are still willing to try cabbage under certain circumstances. Then there are those who will only ever eat broccoli and won't consider trying cabbage; regardless of how well it's prepared, cooked or served.

It's not racist to prefer one ethnic group over another... but it IS racist to be completely closed minded to the concept that you're not even willing to consider the possibility there MIGHT be someone from "X" ethnicity you MAY be attracted to. Granted, it's a more sociably acceptable form of racism, but it's still racism nonetheless.
Last edited by Old Skool Freak; 1 year ago
TJ1997
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No I don't think its racist, everyone likes different things and nobody can be everybody's taste. However as others have said, its bordering on racist when you immediately decide to paint an entire ethnicity with the same brush. Not all black people look alike, not all Indians look alike and so on.

Interestingly enough I'm an South Asian guy who is primarily attracted to white girls, but I have been attracted to South Asian and other girls from different ethnicities before. If I found someone away from my preference but we got along well, I would only dismiss them if we didn't get along not based on what I usually like..
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
Alrighty...

There are people who may prefer broccoli over something like cabbage... but they are still willing to try cabbage under certain circumstances. Then there are those who will only ever eat broccoli and won't consider trying cabbage; regardless of how well it's prepared, cooked or served.

It's not racist to prefer one ethnic group over another... but it IS racist to be completely closed minded to the concept that you're not even willing to consider the possibility there MIGHT be someone from "X" ethnicity you MAY be attracted to. Granted, it's a more sociably acceptable form of racism, but it's still racism nonetheless.
You have written good points but i disagree that it is not racist to prefer one ethnic group over another. It is actually an element of racism. Racism supports the assumption that an ethnic group is homogenous. As a result there are no differences.

“Preference” is a form of racism that allows people to hide under the guise of “oh, that is what I prefer”. Stupidly, people make the mistake of assuming that the ethnic group that they prefer are also homogenous.

Isn't it offensive to say that you would only date white women or black men or Asians? The subtle point made is that these people don't really care about the individual but their preference class as long as those people exhibit the features or activities they have concluded to be good for them.

If a man or woman says that they only date rich people as a preference, people would attack them. However, if they say they don't date this group or only date this group, people seem to applaud.
Last edited by Wired_1800; 1 year ago
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, i think you have added more meaning to a clear statement.

the OP stated “I only date people of a certain race” and not “I have only dated people of a certain race”. Those have very different meaning. The latter is applicable to your point while the former is clearly racist statement.

I have no issues whatsoever, if individuals due to circumstances have only interacted with individuals who are from their own ethnic group or a particular ethnic group. Hence they have only dated people from that group.

My issue is against those who specifically seek out individuals from a particular ethnic or racial group. This approach is consistent with the OP’s statement that they only date people of a certain race.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No it does not. If someone does not know how to use the English language does not mean that you create meaning into their sentences. I only do such and such does not mean that I have only done such and such.

There is no need to infer. You have to take the statement at face value. If you are unsure, you ask for clarification but don't read meaning into sentences that you did not write.

I am taking that position because I have taken the literal meaning of what they have written and not added my own meaning to it. This is what happens when someone does something clearly racist or sexist, but then we quickly run to add our own meaning to what they have said or done.
Anonymous #12
Report 1 year ago
I thought I was only attracted to white people too since all of my crushes were white, and I guess in Britain the majority of people are white. But my bf is Asian so I was open minded there, so tbh I just wait and see who I like now. I don't think it's racist to only like white people, you can't choose who you fall for imo
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We are having a disagreement on something that does not matter. I understand the OP’s position is based on historical context and does not mean that in the future she wont date outside of what is she used to.

My point was that if someone said that they only date people of a certain race or group, we should not assume that they are talking about historical contexts. That was why I stated that one should seek clarification so they don't make the wrong conclusion. It is also lazy and disrespectful to infer something that you think is right when it is wrong.
racistcraka
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
For me it’s important that I’m sexually attracted to the person I’m in a relationship with and I’ve personally never been sexually attracted to guys of colour. I can appreciate if they’re good looking but I have never “fancied” someone of colour as they just aren’t my type. I’ve been told that makes me racist but surely I can’t force myself to be attracted to people?!
100% racist, check yourself!
racistcraka
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No, it's your preference.

It's a bit like only liking people above a certain height.
it is nothing like that, a preference is fine but basing your preference on the race of a person is digusting
racistcraka
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BBambiS)
No that doesn't make you racist it makes the people saying that to you clearly uneducated
the uneducated ones are those who think that dismissing someone based on race isn't racism. grow up!
racistcraka
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
It isn't racist, it's a preference.
Whoever told you it's racist is talking rubbish.
dunno about you but a preference based on race is racist, check yourself yo!
racistcraka
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Talon)
It doesn't make you racist - it just means you aren't sexually attracted to them. I'm not sexually attracted to penguins, but I still think they are fab!

People aren't born racist, it is something that is learned. Sexually attraction is not learned. By saying that people who are only attracted to members of their own race are racist, you are saying that sexual attraction is learned. Do you know who else thinks that sexual attraction is learned? Those people who run gay conversion camps.
sexual attraction is learned, why do people in the west like blonde blue eyes but that look is considered funny in many darker skinned countries?

cause of the media propaganda. discriminating people based on race is racist, nuff said. end of!
Tsranonymous123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by racistcraka)
dunno about you but a preference based on race is racist, check yourself yo!
Where did you get this information from? OP clearly said that they appreciate other races being good looking but just aren’t sexually attracted to them. I find some white guys good looking but aren’t sexually attracted to them and I am far from racist. You need to check the definition of racism yourself(:
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No it certainly does not make you a racist in my opinion.
TheCoolBro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's fine as long as you don't rub it in our face. On the other hand some girls are like "lol brown guys are so ugly and have small ***** and I'd never go out with that" and that's racist imo.
Tsranonymous123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheCoolBro)
It's fine as long as you don't rub it in our face. On the other hand some girls are like "lol brown guys are so ugly and have small ***** and I'd never go out with that" and that's racist imo.
Does that come from brown girls or white girls? I’ve never heard anyone say it before so just curious
TheCoolBro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tsranonymous123)
Does that come from brown girls or white girls? I’ve never heard anyone say it before so just curious
I've heard it from both (not personally to me tho). Used to be really offended but now I'm just like it's the girl's loss. Us brown dudes are awesome.
username5283910
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Iv been with girls of other races, but I don't like anyone based on race. I'd say I look at people of my own race more but it doesn't matter. I'm not racist. I'm white.
username5283910
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheCoolBro)
I agree it's rude for someone to say they don't like you based on preference. if you can't say nothing nice then say nothing at all - I think girls forget it can effect peoples self_esteem especially children if they hear negative stuff like that.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (224)
56.57%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
12.63%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.36%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
9.09%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.55%

Watched Threads