This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

What is this thread about?
This is a joke bill in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a piece of proposed legislation that is currently being debated, but I wouldn't take it too seriously! All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the bill's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

Veganism Bill 2020, Rt. Hon. Jammy Duel MP

A

BILL
TO

Ban the barbaric practice of consumption and use of animal products

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Prohibited Actions
The following are hereby prohibited:
1) The sale or acquisition of any goods made of or derived from animal products;
2) The ownership of live animals in any form;
3) The consumption of any goods made of or derived from animal products

2- Penalties
1) Anybody found to be in contravention of section one shall be liable to a penalty not greater than:
a) a fine of £1000;
b) a jail term of 12 months including not more than 30 hours a week of conservation work.

3- Citation and commencement
1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Veganism Act 2020

Notes:

The consumption of meat and use of products derived from animals is totally barbaric and unnecessary, and those guilty of partaking in this great injustice show absolutely no remorse for the billions of poor animals that they slaughter every year and are clearly highly sadistic.

Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Andrew97 why is this back?. I know this was inteded as a joke bill but quite a lot of it isn't that bad, maybe a little extreme sure.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by quirky editor)
Andrew97 why is this back?. I know this was inteded as a joke bill but quite a lot of it isn't that bad, maybe a little extreme sure.
What do you mean it why is it back?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
This has been here before (albeit a long time ago) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4596164
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyway. Absolutely yes, the fact that eating precious animals is still legal is absolutely absurd! We should live in peace and harmony with other species, not eat them, especially when there are better substitutes out there like... leaves... and grass. #BestFriendsNotFood
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This was originally posted in 2017m
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by quirky editor)
This was originally posted in 2017m
Yes it was and it was submitted to me today..
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Erm, I know where this has come from (and I'll point out that I voted No to that motion)...

Absolutely unacceptable to contemplate destroying the main industry that supports large parts of our countryside.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is brilliant I would like to know the solution. If everyone in Britian was to go vegan as this bill imposes it would lead to a spike in demand for vegan crops that are sourced from tropical area's thus lead to increased deforestation that destorys wildlife habitats. I do agree factory farming needs to be banned but not organic grass fed. As I mean sheep have been running around mountains for centuries live a happy life is natural to them.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Erm, I know where this has come from (and I'll point out that I voted No to that motion)...

Absolutely unacceptable to contemplate destroying the main industry that supports large parts of our countryside.
Is it the main industry in any part of the country though? Agriculture as a whole contributed only about 1.5% of all jobs and not all those jobs are in livestock, even accounting for rural vs urban populations only about 3% of the rural population work in agriculture, and again not all in livestock

As you probably surmised though, the point of the bill is to highlight that "ban **** coz muh animal rights #FriendsNotFun" only applies when people don't think they will be affected, as we have seen recently the house is willing to ban caged chickens despite nobody actually being able to say what problem requires the ban so be solved because either these people don't buy eggs or have sufficiently high incomes that increased cost is an irrelevance to them; the closest we've had to a reason is related activities, which could be tackled by other means, but the same logic could be used to ban pet ownership, some people are morons and try to put their cat or dog on a vegan diet, this is bad for the animal, therefore we should ban owning them as pets to stop those bad people doing bad things, damn the not bad people.

We've also seen a ban on the use of riding crops supported despite the fact that one suspects that most in the MHoC probably haven't been anywhere near a horse, let alone ridden one, use a riding crop, or been properly hit by one (in or outside of the bedroom) but in the name of animal rights they will happily ban something they are completely oblivious about;

similarly we hear hunting as being barbaric, how dare people kill animals for pleasure, except the majority of us here do exactly that, except have another person do the killing for us; we don't have to eat farmed meat, in the modern world we have plant based or even entirely synthetic alternatives but despite those plant based alternatives being available people enjoy meat and therefore will happily let 170,000 cattle, 1,187,000 sheep, and 887,000 pigs be slaughtered monthly (or at least last September), and a growing figure at that, and that is just in the UK and does not account for imported animals. It is perfectly acceptable for the average person in britain to eat about 200lb of meat a year because they personally are not doing the unnecessary killing, they are just gaining the pleasure from it, it is not acceptable for somebody to be actively engaged in it (unless shooting or fishing) for any reason other than work.

Of course we can go one step further and say the same about climate change, people are willing to say that things should be done, they might even go on to propose things that, as a member of the Western middle class, they can comfortably afford to do such as more wind and solar in the UK which has negligible impact on anything other than ever increasing energy bills, until you propose something requiring behavioural changes such as veganism or not going on holiday to Ibiza or the Caribbean every year.

This house is very willing to ban things they don't do themselves, I doubt many would put their money where their mouth is and start banning things they quite enjoy, even for the same supposedly admirable causes.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any animal caught eating another animal should be jailed too
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
aye.
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay.
Veganism is good but not everyone subscribes to it or can do so.
MrBiggs01010101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
[field defaultattr=]
What is this thread about?
This is a joke bill in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a piece of proposed legislation that is currently being debated, but I wouldn't take it too seriously! All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the bill's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.[/field]

Veganism Bill 2020, Rt. Hon. Jammy Duel MP

A

BILL
TO

Ban the barbaric practice of consumption and use of animal products

[field defaultattr=]

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Prohibited Actions
The following are hereby prohibited:
1) The sale or acquisition of any goods made of or derived from animal products;
2) The ownership of live animals in any form;
3) The consumption of any goods made of or derived from animal products

2- Penalties
1) Anybody found to be in contravention of section one shall be liable to a penalty not greater than:
a) a fine of £1000;
b) a jail term of 12 months including not more than 30 hours a week of conservation work.

3- Citation and commencement
1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Veganism Act 2020

Notes:

The consumption of meat and use of products derived from animals is totally barbaric and unnecessary, and those guilty of partaking in this great injustice show absolutely no remorse for the billions of poor animals that they slaughter every year and are clearly highly sadistic.

[/field]
Veganism is the bane of humanity.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The root of all global problems is they is simply too great of a population for the earth to sustain it.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The fact that we imprison poor animals as slaves and kill them for food is a great shame in morden society! Animals have rights there rights must not be violated by humans. Its 2020 now we don't need such babarianism! This bill is a great step to ensure animal rights.

#bestfriendsnotfood
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't know why this has been labelled a joke bill when it really isn't that jokey at all. A bit extreme, yes, but certainly not something completely laughable.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Is it the main industry in any part of the country though? Agriculture as a whole contributed only about 1.5% of all jobs and not all those jobs are in livestock, even accounting for rural vs urban populations only about 3% of the rural population work in agriculture, and again not all in livestock.
Probably not if you look at it as narrowly as people directly working in agriculture, but obviously there are a number of connected jobs in abattoirs, marts, contracting, wholesaling etc etc. Plus things like the impact that the footfall of a livestock mart has on other local businesses in a town.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Don't know why this has been labelled a joke bill when it really isn't that jokey at all. A bit extreme, yes, but certainly not something completely laughable.
Idk, it is pretty laughable, but then that's veganism for you

If I were writing it to be a serious bill to properly see just how bad the hypocrisy is it would be a little more detailed, although naturally no exception for guide dogs, you don't get to subjugate animals just because you can't see properly
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Probably not if you look at it as narrowly as people directly working in agriculture, but obviously there are a number of connected jobs in abattoirs, marts, contracting, wholesaling etc etc. Plus things like the impact that the footfall of a livestock mart has on other local businesses in a town.
And they make the people working in agriculture look significant

https://britishmeatindustry.org/industry/workforce/

75,000, generally in areas with very low unemployment
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding the most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (53)
27.04%
No (143)
72.96%

Watched Threads