rxyaltyx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
People are very rude to me for being an athiest. They tell me i'm being rude and disrespectful towards their faith, although i didn't say anything to them about their religion. People tell me i'm going to hell etc. what are your views on athiesm?
NoobDestroyer69
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
People are very rude to me for being an athiest. They tell me i'm being rude and disrespectful towards their faith, although i didn't say anything to them about their religion. People tell me i'm going to hell etc. what are your views on athiesm?
Being an athiest is no excuse to be treated badly. Whatever religion they follow, I'm sure it doesn't promote this kind of behavior to anyone. As a muslim, our religion teaches us that everyone has the freedom of religion. Unless you have insulted our religion directly, we shall not act this way, but whatever they're doing is wrong, in your right and in their religion's right.
anon123a
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah, we are taught not to judge other people so I'm sorry that you've had to experience this that's actually messed up.
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Idc if someone is atheist or not. Some ignorant people consider me as an atheist even though I believe in a higher being.
Archetypally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be honest I'm sort of dubious that you are being insulted for being an atheist alone. I think it's more likely that you've unwittingly said something that is offensive or brash.

However, assuming you are being accurate, I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that atheism merits that kind of response when holding your views respectfully, and you would obviously be in the right, in which case pay them no mind.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
thank you for your reply, and i'm totally respectful with other religions and beliefs.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Archetypally)
To be honest I'm sort of dubious that you are being insulted for being an atheist alone. I think it's more likely that you've unwittingly said something that is offensive or brash.

However, assuming you are being accurate, I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that atheism merits that kind of response when holding your views respectfully, and you would obviously be in the right, in which case pay them no mind.
basically, what happened was that in religion class they asked people to raise their hand if they're religious (most of the year group did) then raise your hand if you're an athiest (me and my friend and two others raised our hand) and people were quite rude and said it was disrespectful to their religion etc. we didn't say anything offending whatsoever.
TheStarboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MoonlightRain)
Idc if someone is atheist or not. Some ignorant people consider me as an atheist even though I believe in a higher being.
Sometimes I have to put a disclaimer due to always being mistaken as an atheist
Archetypally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
basically, what happened was that in religion class they asked people to raise their hand if they're religious (most of the year group did) then raise your hand if you're an athiest (me and my friend and two others raised our hand) and people were quite rude and said it was disrespectful to their religion etc. we didn't say anything offending whatsoever.
If this is taking place in school, I'd say this stems more from immaturity as opposed to a systemic rejection of atheists in religion.
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Sometimes I have to put a disclaimer due to always being mistaken as an atheist
Me too! It’s so tiring
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Archetypally)
If this is taking place in school, I'd say this stems more from immaturity as opposed to a systemic rejection of atheists in religion.
it happens a lot online aswell tbh
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Me too! It’s so tiring
It doesn't occur to others that sometimes people have their own opinion, regardless of their religion.
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It doesn't occur to others that sometimes people have their own opinion, regardless of their religion.
People just don’t want to accept that other people have different beliefs and opinions that are not actually harmful to anybody. It’s pure ignorance.
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People just don’t want to accept that other people have different beliefs and opinions that are not actually harmful to anybody. It’s pure ignorance.
That's why I avoid religious societies or debates. I barely keep up in online debates, I prefer not doing that in real life. Also, the possible judgement from others I can do without.
Some prefer to be ignorant.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Atheism doesn't matter to me.

My father is a noisy militant atheist in the habit of yelling about how "religion is an evil cult out to rob, scam and control the gullible".
Anything can set off hours of bellowing; seeing or hearing anything with religious connotations, a religious person trying to convert others or someone saying they don't believe in darwin's theory of evolution.
While my maternal grandmother is a toxic bible bashing religious fanatic in her 80s who rants about sin, hating everyone for joining the devil's family of sinners and how almost everyone alive will be burning in hell.
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's why I avoid religious societies or debates. I barely keep up in online debates, I prefer not doing that in real life. Also, the possible judgement from others I can do without.
Some prefer to be ignorant.
Debates online never go anywhere. It’s not even about educating to them sometimes, it’s about about winning an argument. I agree. Stay away from that debate life!
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Debates online never go anywhere. It’s not even about educating to them sometimes, it’s about about winning an argument. I agree. Stay away from that debate life!
I’ve gotten better at debating. Now I leave and don’t look back. Seems to work perfectly so far.
I will only debate if I can copy and paste points from professional debaters.

Also, what religion are you from?
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve gotten better at debating. Now I leave and don’t look back. Seems to work perfectly so far.
I will only debate if I can copy and paste points from professional debaters.

Also, what religion are you from?
Debates usually just end in insults. Two people not even listening to each other and making each other more pissed off.

I believe in a higher being, not religion. Wby?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Explain that it's extremely rude, if not terminally sub-optimally intelligent, to tell people that they're going to be tortured for refusing to believe incredible claims without any credible evidence.

Atheism is the only reasonable approach for those without high indoctrination to intelligence ratios.
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Debates usually just end in insults. Two people not even listening to each other and making each other more pissed off.

I believe in a higher being, not religion. Wby?
Yep, that's the best way to put it. When the insults come out, it's time to leave unless the other person is crazy and stalks you online.

I wanted to try that out once. I’m Christain but I use it very loosely. It's essentially believing in God and that's it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (22)
73.33%
No (4)
13.33%
Not sure (4)
13.33%

Watched Threads