The Student Room Group

Help with maths question!

In a network of whether stations, each station is required to know how many hours of daylight there were at each of the others. Unfortunately, the email system has been infected by a virus and they can only communicate via phone calls. For three stations shows that three separate calls are required so that three sets of results are known to all three stations. For five stations so that at least six separate calls are required. What is the minimum number of calls required if there are seven stations?
Extend your reasoning for n stations
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jess charnock
In a network of where the stations, each station is required to know how many hours of daylight there were at each of the others. Unfortunately, the email system has been infected by a virus and they can only communicate via phone calls. For three stations shows that three separate calls are required so that three sets of results are known to all three stations. For five stations so that at least six separate calls are required. What is the minimum number of calls required if there are seven stations?
Extend your reasoning for n stations

Where is this question from?
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
Where is this question from?

A year 10 maths challenge.
A year 10 maths challenge.

We aren't going to do this for you!

Try 4 stations and 6 stations and look for patterns.
Original post by Muttley79
We aren't going to do this for you!

Try 4 stations and 6 stations and look for patterns.

I have I'm just stuck and need a bit of help and my maths teacher doesn't get it either.
I have I'm just stuck and need a bit of help and my maths teacher doesn't get it either.

Why is your Maths teacher setting work they can't do?

Three 'points' need three lines to connect them to each other, try with four points, five [you are told the answer so can check you are doing it correctly], six points ...
Original post by Muttley79
five [you are told the answer so can check you are doing it correctly]

I must be missing something, but I don't get 6 calls for 5 stations.

If only they could do an audio conference ..
Original post by RogerOxon
I must be missing something, but I don't get 6 calls for 5 stations.

I see what I was missing now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest