abbiefw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I've been struggling to decide what I want to do in the future but I've finally decided on studying paramedic science at uni. I'm in Year 12 and do Biology, Chemistry and Sociology predicted AAA but I think I'll get BBB-BBC. I volunteer at a hospital for 2 hours every week. I'm just wondering if this is actually enough to get on paramedic courses because of how competitive it is, and if anyone has any tips or advice. Thank you
RebeccaIvin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I have just been accepted to study Paramedic Science at Sunderland in April, it totally depends on how you write your personal statement and how you interview, I have done an access course as I’m 24 and did rubbish in my a levels, I have come away with 141 ucas points, most unis want 112-128 ucas points, I originally applied to start in September 2019, but didn’t interview well/no relevant experience/poor personal statement

Don’t be put off If you get rejected on your first attempt, I did and so did many others due to the highly competitive nature of the course, by reapplying it shows resilience and determination which are essential traits you will need
meganhunt97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RebeccaIvin)
I have just been accepted to study Paramedic Science at Sunderland in April, it totally depends on how you write your personal statement and how you interview, I have done an access course as I’m 24 and did rubbish in my a levels, I have come away with 141 ucas points, most unis want 112-128 ucas points, I originally applied to start in September 2019, but didn’t interview well/no relevant experience/poor personal statement

Don’t be put off If you get rejected on your first attempt, I did and so did many others due to the highly competitive nature of the course, by reapplying it shows resilience and determination which are essential traits you will need
Hey hun, I hope you don't mind me jumping on your reply. I'm currently doing my personal statement at the moment for Sunderland and I was wondering if you have any tips of what to include in it or what to focus on when writing it? Well done for getting in, that's amazing!
RebeccaIvin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meganhunt97)
Hey hun, I hope you don't mind me jumping on your reply. I'm currently doing my personal statement at the moment for Sunderland and I was wondering if you have any tips of what to include in it or what to focus on when writing it? Well done for getting in, that's amazing!
I don't mind at all, its nice to see people asking, so its all about how you sell yourself, and your experiences. For example, I worked in a supermarket for 6 years, so I wrote about how that gave me skills in communication, team player, leadership and how those are key qualities for a paramedic to have.

mention any experience you have, I worked in home care for 2 years so I talked about that and also related that back to how its useful in becoming a paramedic.

I also really recommend joining So You Want To Be A Paramedic? on Facebook, it is a very useful group with loads of people either being a qualified paramedic, student paramedics or people wanting to be students who are in the same situation as you are
Last edited by RebeccaIvin; 1 month ago
meganhunt97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your reply! That’s great, I’ve just joined that page which is already so helpful 😱 if you don’t mind sharing your personal statement, that would be great. It’s so stressful not really knowing necessarily what they want to know!
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meganhunt97)
Hi Megan,

We see that Rebecca has already provided some excellent information above, we also have a link here to an article that covers what to include in a Personal Statement and our Digital Ambassador Erin is a current Paramedic student should you wish to ask her any questions via her online profile.
Good luck with your application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (55)
15.58%
I'm not sure (9)
2.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.56%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.7%
I'm not a current university student (161)
45.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise